Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sprat
New Member!
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Un-neutered Boxer's strange behaviour

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie!!

I have a 3 year old un-neutered boxer called Geordie.

We have recently moved into a property which needs some renovation work. He currently has his bed in the kitchen. We had to take up the flooring in the kitchen due to a leak, so it's currently just concrete at the moment (all this will become relevant soon I promise!!)

Geordie has always been quite good at letting us know he wants to go out, but just recently, he's just been urinating on the kitchen floor, even after being out for a walk.

This is frustrating because we can't clean it up properly due to the concrete, but also because we know this is not his normal behaviour.

He's also started taking to just moping in his bed all day, although he's eating well, drinking well and is in very good spirits when he sees someone new, most of the time he's just sad!

We have been told that because of the concrete floor, Geordie thinks he's already outside, but we're also wondering whether it could be because there are a few bitches in season in our area, and we thought that this maybe his behaviour because he can smell them?????? Or am I way off the mark and should get him to a vet?

It's like having an old dog, but he's only 3!!!

Any ideas?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Sprat and welcome to Dogsey :smt039 :smt039

Do you think Geordie is missing your old house, maybe his old walks and doggy friends there and that is why he is moping about?

Has he ever lived in kennels - just wondering if that is why he is peeing on the concrete? I've no idea if it has anything to do with the bitches in season - hopefully someone more knowlegable will see your post soon and be able to answer!

Given that he is a bit down in the dumps & acting out of character I would take him to the vets - he could just be a bit unsettled at the moment due to the move but I think it would be best to get the vet to rule out anything medical as the cause for the change in his behaviour & toileting habits.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:54 PM
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Poor Geordie! I have heard that entire dogs can get themselves into a right old state over bitches they can't get at but surely it would have happened before in your old place. Maybe he's homesick If he's been depressed like that for more than a day though I'd visit the vet just to be on the safe side. He might be in discomfort or pain, maybe bladder related.
Keep us posted.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Ah poor Geordie hope he picks up soon, may be go and see the vet for a check up and see what they say.

Welcome to Dogsey :smt039
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I'd take him for a check up first to make sure its nothing physical, how long have you had him wonder if the concrete floor has triggered reactions to something before you had him?
sprat
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi all

Thank you for all your comments.

I think first of all we're going to have to get Geordie checked out by a vet just to make sure nothing is wrong with him and he's not in any pain - strangely enough, he hasn't done it today and he's been in very good spirits.

I don't think he misses the old house as for the last 6 months, he wasn't getting good walks as my husband was living away until the rest of us moved to be with him. His routine is much better now, and we live opposite a HUGE park, so I'm not sure it's that.

I think he may also be feeling unsettled too. We're off to visit our family this weekend, and he LOVES my father in law, so maybe he's been pining for him. We'll see how he goes this weekend, and then we'll take him to the vets.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you again
Sarah