View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
It's horrible and frightening isn't it? very very occasionally my two get worked up about something at the fence and if one touches the other or barges then they go at each other, I'm not really sure who instigates it. I shout very loudly! and have been known to lob a rock - not to hit either of them but just to distract - so far this has worked okay but I'm always very wary when I see them barking at the fence together. I worry about Ailsa's hips so really need to discourage fighting or too much ragging.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Oooft nightmare hope you are ok after that! Xxxx
We are ok again today thanks , but I did wonder for a while yesterday whether Yogi had just flipped and I would have to have him pts
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Idon't think there is any need to rush into things. I got Max neutered and it made no difference to his fighting. Jeager was never neutered and Max never touched him. The only dog, he never attacked. I agree with KrLyr, i think Yogi is in more pain than you know. I would suggest you get him x-rayed as soon as possible. It wasn't till i found out that Max had really bad HD from an early age, did i put 2 and 2 together. Also there was cancer.. so he must have felt so insecure and vulnerable! Trust me Moobli, i have experienced so much with my two, concerning these things. Even Jeager showed a little bit of angriness, i think, from feeling vulnerable, as he got older. ( he had early signs of DM, Arthrytis, etc.)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Oh poor you.

On the odd occasions we have ended up with a bit of a group scrap and it is alarming.

The first thing I do when something flares up between two of the dogs when they are in a group is turn my attention to the others and ensure they don't get involved.

Lady, our dobe is the one that fights hardest if a fight breaks out although she never starts it. In spite of that, there has never been serious damage just minor incidental injuries.

Keeping calm helps but is easier said than done when it sounds like they are killing each other.
Thanks Maisiesmum, it is reassuring to know it happens to others too. I think it is so alarming because my dogs don't fight very often at all, but when it does happen it seems that Yogi really, really means it

Hubby's sheepdogs often have wee barneys and scrapes, but nothing as prolonged and serious looking as when Yogi gets involved.

Keeping calm is excellent advice, but so difficult when it is happening.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I was wondering this too. Maybe Yogi is in pain and retaliating at getting barged and hurt.
There may be something in that, but I also wonder whether it has been on the cards for a while because both Yogi and Zak do tend to get quite high when we are off out for a walk and recently have been having barking matches with each other as we head out.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Yogi definitely seems to be a dog with a short fuse I think another trip to the vet might be on the cards, after I explain on the phone to them what happened - although, Yogi has acted this way three times before but it was over a toy.
We as humans, may think it was over a toy... But it was probably more intense than that. Yogi may have been hurting for longer than you know!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:06 PM
no advice other than to say i also think take him back to vets and get X-rays to see if its something more etc..

poor you, the few times bruno has fought its been awful and as you say even thought its short it feels like it goes on forever
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
It's horrible and frightening isn't it? very very occasionally my two get worked up about something at the fence and if one touches the other or barges then they go at each other, I'm not really sure who instigates it. I shout very loudly! and have been known to lob a rock - not to hit either of them but just to distract - so far this has worked okay but I'm always very wary when I see them barking at the fence together. I worry about Ailsa's hips so really need to discourage fighting or too much ragging.
That sounds like a similar scenario, in that I think it is the high agitation levels that start the fights here too but it is excitement at going out.

Horrid to see isn't it, but good that you can stop yours with a shout. I was shouting my head off yesterday but to no avail.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Idon't think there is any need to rush into things. I got Max neutered and it made no difference to his fighting. Jeager was never neutered and Max never touched him. The only dog, he never attacked. I agree with KrLyr, i think Yogi is in more pain than you know. I would suggest you get him x-rayed as soon as possible. It wasn't till i found out that Max had really bad HD from an early age, did i put 2 and 2 together. Also there was cancer.. so he must have felt so insecure and vulnerable! Trust me Moobli, i have experienced so much with my two, concerning these things. Even Jeager showed a little bit of angriness, i think, from feeling vulnerable, as he got older. ( he had early signs of DM, Arthrytis, etc.)
Thanks Jeagi. I won't be rushing into anything, and also don't think neutering would help at this stage. In fact, it may make matters worse.

I will have a word with my vet I think. Thanks.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks Maisiesmum, it is reassuring to know it happens to others too. I think it is so alarming because my dogs don't fight very often at all, but when it does happen it seems that Yogi really, really means it

Hubby's sheepdogs often have wee barneys and scrapes, but nothing as prolonged and serious looking as when Yogi gets involved.

Keeping calm is excellent advice, but so difficult when it is happening.
If and when it happens again. Just concentrate on Yogi. Not in anger, or fear. Just control. Grab him just in front of the rear legs, and just move back, untill you are clear of Zak, or Yogi lets go. Then just command Zak, as normal, and show him that you control the situation... Not him. Then calm, and deal with Yogi.
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »