View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
NILIF is useful for SOME dogs in SOME situations SOME times.

Many people have a poor understanding of the principle and use poor practice because, like many "methods" it is often not taught correctly, not delivered correctly and taken to extremes.

It is also often confused with the Premack Principle, a subtle but different concept.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Many people have a poor understanding of the principle and use poor practice because, like many "methods" it is often not taught correctly, not delivered correctly and taken to extremes.

It is also often confused with the Premack Principle, a subtle but different concept.
It wasn't called anything when I did it. It was just what Simon needed.

I think the problem is, there are so very many varying training methods, especially for dogs with issues, that sometimes a phrase gets latched on. I'd never heard of it, but it is basically what I did. If I was to sell that, I'm sure bits of it wouldn't suit all dogs...
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
It depends on the dog.

I have set very strict boundaries with Simon, which have relaxed a bit as he has got older. He came to me as a 2 year old, abused rescue. He NEEDS rules, routine and boundaries. Letting him do as he pleases just upsets and confuses him. He needs to know I am in control, not him, so he can relax.

I give Jake much more freedom, up to the point he abuses it (ie., if he was barking out of the window, then he would not get to look out of the window).
That is a really good point & that is exactly what I feel Tilly needs.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Glad to hear things are going well

I find the proper NILIF approach is way to strict - Ben would become totaly depressed - and Mia would pack her bags

But I do ask for some things - like asking for something before I chuck the ball or something - but just because it is such a good reward
also I make people ask them for something before they give them treats too - it stops people who think 'tricks are cruel' stuffing treats down my dogs face - I am amazed at the amount of junk people expect is OK to give a dog

if they ask nicely to come up on the sofa - and get off when I ask them too I have no issues with that

Mia isnt let sit and look out the window because she get wound up and shouts at other dogs - but otherwise I see nothing wrong with it - tv just isnt interesting for them (unless there is sheep on)
Visions of Ben full of woe & Mia trotting off down the road with her suitcase
It is strict, I thought it was too controlling but it didn't take long to convince me seeing Tilly is so much more chilled out.

I did fail to mention that the reason I sought help from a behavourist is because my parents are staying at the moment & Tilly bit my mum's hand when she stroked her. It's a long story & although mum was asked not to stroke Tilly on the head, she approached her with both hands cupped around her face - recipe for disaster, I was mortified!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Fear not! Simon tried to bite the trainer at his first dog class! Stupid bloke strode over and tried to touch the top of his head! (He had been beaten in the past).
Simon stayed in school and he NEVER tried again!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:51 PM

What kind of situations is it used for?
I haven't heard of Premack Principle.. rushes of to google it!
The behaviorist hasn't actually mentioned the word "NILIF" but based on what she has told us to do - that is what I feel we are doing. She didn't call it anything in fact she just watched us doing what we do & then advised us what to do for Tilly's sake.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Well I think as someone else mentioned there are people who will take it to the extreme and then it maybe isnt so good BUT I think asking for general good manners and making things rewarding for the dog is no bad thing!

I.e, if you are being bitten for walking in your own home or for wanting to sit where she is then to ask the dog to move and lay down in a certain spot is no bad thing. I think as long as your consistent and she still has a more positive outcome with this than the previous way then its a good thing?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I think what I mean is I talk to her like a human when we are in normal mode i.e not like in training where I use 1 word commands. I even put on stupid voices & if she ignores me when I tell her to get off the sofa. I leave her because she's all chillaxed on there & not bothering anyone, but her refusal to get down could lead to guarding.

The behavourist pointed out that when she wasn't doing what we asked first time, we were using different commands & the sentences were getting longer, so we might as well have been saying "apples, pears, bananas" for all the the sense we made to Tilly so she was just ignoring us.
I'm the one that that does training with her so I should know better
So we have quickly re established one word commands & in the hall a simple "move" has her move out of the way so she doesn't fixate on daughter's & hub's feet & then bite them, an ongoing problem we've had, especially with visitors too.

You really are just guilty of not being consistent with her which many owners are, which means you make things far too confusing for her. Dogs see everything in black and white, there is no grey. So every time you tell her do something and there are no consequences for non compliance, you are training her to be disobedient and also to be confused.

Most of us do it at one time or other.

All this chat to dogs just becomes like lift music and dogs tune it out.

I know many competition owners who NEVER use their dog's name EXCEPT for when they are training, they have ANOTHER name for domestic use (ie when grandchildren come round so the dog does not become desensitised to their name).
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
You really are just guilty of not being consistent with her which many owners are, which means you make things far too confusing for her. Dogs see everything in black and white, there is no grey. So every time you tell her do something and there are no consequences for non compliance, you are training her to be disobedient and also to be confused.

Most of us do it at one time or other.

All this chat to dogs just becomes like lift music and dogs tune it out.

I know many competition owners who NEVER use their dog's name EXCEPT for when they are training, they have ANOTHER name for domestic use (ie when grandchildren come round so the dog does not become desensitised to their name).
Yup when my x is around I only let him call Mia Mimi because he thinks just altering the tone of voice is enough to tell Mia all loads of comands - 'MiMiiii (come here) Meme (dont even think about doing that MEMie where are you? Mime - dont pull on the lead (after letting her pull for a min then deciding he wants her not to - then moaning that she is so good on the lead with me)
Not to mention that he uses totaly different commands and hand signals to what I have trained
- the dogs just guess something to do - they are all happy
I have just resigned to the fact that they have learnt that he speaks rubbish and when is talking to them its best just to offer a whole load of tricks and one will be the right one

men eh?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I am pretty consistant with what I expect of my dogs and any that visit. however I used a 'version' of NILIF with George. It worked for me and for her but what really made a break through was the clicker----suddenly there were no words confusing her and a straightforward deal for her actions.

Once she learnt to trust that and to trust me there was no stopping her.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
ROFLMAO I did larf at that, on that POSITIVE side though, he is at least altering his tone of voice, one of the most difficult things for most male handlers to do (IME).

Often when men tell their dogs "Good Dog" it is no different from when they say "Don't do that"
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >