Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Black Dog Head Halter

I've had several people on the Yahoo group I'm on advise this brand of head halter for dogs, as opposed to Halti or GL. So I went ahead and ordered one, I got it on Monday, and am very impressed with it. I ordered a matching double ended leash. the leash is light enough that it doesn't pull down the Halter, and I am really liking the design of the Halter. it will close the dogs mouth when they pull back OR forward, so if Ollie lunges at something, his mouth is shut, and he cant bite. It's very light weight, and the material is very soft. For a dog not used to head halters, he's not minding it at all, he's not rubbing his face, or trying to paw it off like his muzzle, and infact, I dont think I'll have to put a muzzle on him, using this.

They're extremely adjustable, and the Medium fits most dogs, though they have 4 different sizes. I really like their stuff, and I do believe I'll be ordering a long line, and a front clip harness for Oliver from them as well.

http://www.blackdog.net.au/index.php...emart&Itemid=5

I bought the training halter, but I also like the looks of the infin8 one, but with the issues I'm working on with Oliver, I decided the steering power of the training halter is better... and it comes very highly recommended.

I used to be very against head halters, however, I've done extensive research, and if used correctly, and on a short leash, damage to the neck and spine will not happen. (though I still get angry when I see someone with a dog on a halti with a flexi lead!) I still think any head halter that attaches underneath the snout should come with a warning on the package!

Anyway, what do you all think about this head halter? So far I really like it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used this brand. it's Australian, though there is a supplier in the UK, other European countries, and the USA.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2011, 12:49 PM
ive been using this one for a few years ive tried every head collar there is and found this one the best alhtough mine can open their mouths without a problem
maybe its too tight if they cant open their mouths?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 12:53 PM
No Ollie can open his mouth normally, but if he lunges forward, it closes his mouth... unlike the halti, which only closes their mouths if you pull up, or the dog pulls back... a nice design feature on the Black Dog, I'd say! at least for monsters like my Ollie
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 05:16 PM
It is the one I always recommend in preference to all otherrs.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks this is really interesting. I have to walk Dex on a headcollar because of his terrible lunging. I love the Dogmatic but we're having a slight sizing issue at present, so I've switched to a Gentle Leader, though I'm not mad on it.

Will take a look at the one you recommend, many thanks indeed!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I would be a little worried about the cord.. but other than that it looks alright.

Sara - you could have done this a week ago before I ordered a dogmatic
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Mananged to find an online store selling the Black Dog halter in the UK

For those of you who use it, how does it differ from the Halti/Gentle Leader etc...?

Am probably going to try it, but interested to know a bit more about it

Re Infini8 - does that fasten at the back of the neck? I used to use a Canny Collar on Dexter, which also fastens at the back - it really did not help stop him lunging or pulling...
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I've been told by a dog trainer (and deaf dog owner) in Australia that the infin8 isn't really useful with training lunging dogs.

I find the extra length of the chord is useful SLB, makes fitting the halter easier and it's no different than having a leash there. And sorry for not being a week earlier! LOL

I like the dogmatic that you have over there, but sizes need to be so specific, and I didn't want to order a size that doesn't fit, then have to get another one (not for the price of them and shipping to Canada)

I actually ordered mine from the supplier in the UK, as, oddly enough it was cheaper (must have something to do with dollar exchanges) but it took forever for me to get it. I ordered it on Feb. 12, and got it on Monday.

I went for a very long leash walk with Oliver yesterday he didn't once bug the Halter, and the power was gone from his lunge... I was very happy with it! it seems to work, the front clip harness and halter mixture!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 08:19 AM
This looks very similar to the canny collar...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 08:20 AM
No it is not, the Canny collar is far more complicated and fastens in a different place and works differently.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >