Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
What do you think?, my neighbours a young couple have 2 dogs who are basically yard dogs and never get walked, the problem is they never clean up the dog poo, it is in piles and weeks old, it does not smell greatly but the amount of flies around the area are multiplying, now my question is what would your response be, report it as a health problem, ask the directly if they would clean it up or just accept it as just another problem in a world full of them.
My other question is is there any chance of my dogs health being compromised by this, there is a 6 foot fence between us with concrete gravel board so any worms would not be able to get through or am i being naive there.
I do feel sorry for the dogs but i cannot do anything about the fact they never walk them as it is not my business but i do wonder why people have dogs they never do anything with.
I had a similar some years ago with neighbours of mine - the smell of urine was horrible at times!

It was all sorted out amicably by having a quiet word about the smell and asking if they could clean the area and put some disinfectant down. They sorted it out the same day and it never happened again thankfully.

I would have a quiet and diplomatiic word with them and see what happens first. Hopefully that will do the trick if they are reasonable people.

If they dont then I am not sure exactly what could be done unless you are living in council or housing association property when they could be deemed to be breaching their terms of tenure I would imagine.

If it is private property though I dont know if the council has the power to get them to do anything.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-06-2010, 09:14 AM
I have no relationship with them at all to be honest, i have no problem with escalating it at all either through the environmental health or face to face, it is really the dogs on both sides i am concerned about, my son is at college age and no children visit so that is not an issue for me but the neighbour on the other side does have very young children and i am surprised she has not shown concern.
I may just contact the council as they can take it further as i feel anyone prepared to live like that really is unlikely to listen so maybe education is needed as they are quite young.
Disgusting really.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
I had a similar some years ago with neighbours of mine - the smell of urine was horrible at times!

It was all sorted out amicably by having a quiet word about the smell and asking if they could clean the area and put some disinfectant down. They sorted it out the same day and it never happened again thankfully.

I would have a quiet and diplomatiic word with them and see what happens first. Hopefully that will do the trick if they are reasonable people.

If they dont then I am not sure exactly what could be done unless you are living in council or housing association property when they could be deemed to be breaching their terms of tenure I would imagine.

If it is private property though I dont know if the council has the power to get them to do anything.
To be honest i never really see them as they both seem to be very busy so maybe they just need a word from the council who may also be able to help with the dogs if they have made a mistake in having them, i have looked and from what i can gather they can be done for health issues as it is a private property.
I will give it some thought though and maybe i will have a quiet word if i see them.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post

They have, before we moved a few years ago we had to report for the same thing, Environmental Health came out and told them to clear the mess up
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 10:00 AM
This is where you need to be

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/environment...nmental-health
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 01:27 PM
In our area it would be the Dog Warden who would go round and talk to them.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 02:10 PM
i personally, would go straight to the environmental services... i wouldnt want to talk to them, for them to not do anything so i would then call and they would know it was me... JMO though hope you get it sorted, and poor dogs
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Difficult situation - they may not realise it is a problem (although that seems unlikely) and might sort it out if you have a word with them.

On the other hand, if you do say something and they tell you where to go and you report it, they will know who it was.

Poor dogs, what an environment to have to live in.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 03:11 PM
I would also suggest the RSPCA or Dog warden.

Its not that they will take the dogs off them but they will advise them and then do follow up checks to make sure the dogs are living in reasonable conditions.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Fleas transmit worms, so if those dogs have fleas then yours will be at risk. Good advice given, hope you can get it sorted soon
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >