Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Dog faeces and my neighbours

What do you think?, my neighbours a young couple have 2 dogs who are basically yard dogs and never get walked, the problem is they never clean up the dog poo, it is in piles and weeks old, it does not smell greatly but the amount of flies around the area are multiplying, now my question is what would your response be, report it as a health problem, ask the directly if they would clean it up or just accept it as just another problem in a world full of them.
My other question is is there any chance of my dogs health being compromised by this, there is a 6 foot fence between us with concrete gravel board so any worms would not be able to get through or am i being naive there.
I do feel sorry for the dogs but i cannot do anything about the fact they never walk them as it is not my business but i do wonder why people have dogs they never do anything with.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I would try and be a bit diplomatic and have a quiet chat with them about it, then, if things don't go well you could always get in touch with your local council, who would, I suspect be willing to have a word in their ears.

Dirty, lazy people, I wouldn't think it would do your dogs any harm, it's the flies thought isn't it...disgusting!! and no need for it whatsoever.

hope you get it sorted soon

x
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:46 AM
I'd contact your local Environmental Health it is a health hazard, not only to your dogs but for you also. Maggots can attach themselves to anything and climb, so your fencing wouldn't be a problem.
ninja 2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2010, 07:55 AM
if you get on with them reasonibly well then i think i would have a word with them

if not then i would ring enviromental services and say there seems to be alot of flies coming from next door but wouldnt say its due to the dog faeces or they may just pass it onto the dog warden
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I'd contact your local Environmental Health it is a health hazard, not only to your dogs but for you also. Maggots can attach themselves to anything and climb, so your fencing wouldn't be a problem.
It's disgusting! And yes, a definite health hazard. Also, do you have children? Or any that visit? Imagine the health risks to them also.

Originally Posted by ninja 2 View Post
if you get on with them reasonibly well then i think i would have a word with them

if not then i would ring enviromental services and say there seems to be alot of flies coming from next door but wouldnt say its due to the dog faeces or they may just pass it onto the dog warden
I agree. I twould be worth speaking with them assuiming you get on reasonably well. If you get no joy there, then escalate it and continue until it's sorted. After all - all those flies int he summer?! How will you be able to sit out in your own garden? I know I couldn't.

How many dogs do you neighbours have? I have 4 dogs. I clean the poo/wee each morning (assuming they've left me any during the night/evening before bedtime) and wash down the patio. In the evening after they've had their walk, eaten and relieved themselves, I clean up again. I then use a boatload of bleach and scrub the patio. Overall, each day it takes a total of about 15 minutes. So IMO there's no excuse not to clean up after them. The dogs would appreciate it too I would think.

Laura xx
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Go carefully you dont want to start a battle that can escalate. I dont envy your dilema. What ever action you take its going to cause a reaction from them what sort of people are they? Maybe they dont want the dogs anymore and you maybe doing them all a favour?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:14 AM
We're one of those having wheelie bin collections fortnightly - it's a pain especially in this weather, so what we have started doing in the last two years is taking the contents of the wheelie bin to the local landfill - if they can't come to us, we'll take it to them..simple

Flies I cannot stand and maggots I have a phobia of, I'd be going out of my mind if I lived next door to these people especially as I have kids and dogs of my own and do like my windows and back door open

What diseases do flies carry?

# Diarrhea
# Dysentery
# Cholera
# Conjunctivitis (pinkeye)
# E. coli
# Food poisoning
# Gastrointestinal infections
# Salmonella poisoning
# Stomach ulcers
# Tuberculosis
# Typhoid fever

This link is also interesting.

http://www.flycontrol.novartis.co.uk...en/index.shtml
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:18 AM
And, what kind of dog owners are they, never walking their dogs??

Goodluck getting the 'poo' situation sorted.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I would say have a word with them in the first instance and report the problem if they do nothing about it. The only thing there is that they will then guess that it was you who reported them (as you spoke with them about it previously) and things might turn sour.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:02 AM
If you think having a word with them might cause problems, then i'd skip that and go straight to the enviromental health.
It's disgusting to let dog mess pile up, those poor dogs must be treading in it, which cant be good for their health either.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >