View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2012, 12:05 PM

What age should start giving joint supplements for arthritis prevention?

My dog's probably just over 3 yrs old & very fit, but I'm a bit paranoid about her joints, as that's what my last dog died of, so I want to protect her as much as possible. She already has fish oil capsules & VetVits joint treats, but I was thinking of swapping the treats for glucosomine or similar. Do you think she's too young for supplements and, if not, what's best for arthritis prevention? I read somewhere on here it's best to get hci glucosomine, rather than kci, but should I get one specifically for dogs or is one for humans OK, or would green mussel or some other supplement be better or do you think the VetVits are sufficient? There are so many available I find it totally confusing, as I don't want to over-supplement her, so I'd be grateful if someone would just tell me what or what not to give her. Thanks
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I give Pereg Glucosamine & Chondroitin with MSM, and Green Lipped Mussel [as well as Omega 3 Fish Body Oil and Vitamin E], and I have been giving them to her for about six months now. She will be 4 years old on 1 January.

These are all human supplements, not canine ones.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Yumove have a new young and active product ..
My dog is 5 and on it ..
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm giving Max supplements aged 2 as I'm doing agility with him.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I started my very active dog on Yumove tablets about a month ago. I recon her joints can use all the protection they get!
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for suggestions - seems she's not too young, so I'll get something for her
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Don't quote me, and it is worth checking with your vet, but I don't think you can overdose on gluc and chondr....I have tried to find out if I'm giving my girl too much but haven't been able to find anyone advising me on an upper limit. I think that the worst thing that can happen is that she doesn't need it, will naturally excrete it, and you are wasting your money. At best you are building up protection for the future.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2012, 07:27 AM
I have given mine the glucosamine, chondroitin and msm plus omega 3 since they were 4 months old as they are giant dogs and I have lost 2 of them before because of arthritis, etc.. Was told it wouldn't do them any harm but it is also in their daily food.. Also I have been giving it to my older girl since a year now and thankfully she seems quite agile at the moment so maybe it does help ... Don't think it will harm them..
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Glad for the reassurance that I'm not bunging too much into her. Think I'll try the Yumove Young & Active to get it all in 1 product, but keep her on the fish oil & vit E too
gwenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2012, 07:27 PM
my last dog,flyss,had severe arthritis,for the last 5years of her life,what a cruel disease it is,how i hated to see her suffer.She wore a bioflow collar,was on trocoxil from the vet,and the chondroitin and glucosamine .supplements and fish oil too,also she had courses of injections-cartrophen i think.I can understand anyone not wanting their dog to go through that.I now have 3 young collies,and I am raw feeding these,in the hopes a more natural diet will help their long term joint health Any comments and thoughts welcome .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >