View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I think im aware that Badgers are protected.

And yes,i do know that foxes are territorial.When you shoot a dog or vixen-another will take over the area which is why vermin control is a ongoing thing.

Can you anwser me this?

What gets up your nose then-the fact that deer are culled or that people pay money to do it?
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I never mentioned badgers

no but i'd like to bet you support the proposed badger cull....infact i'd put money on it

Foxes are legally culled all over this country, there is still no shortage, and they seem to be in good health generally. They're shot when they become a problem, if a new fox moves in to the territory of the old one, and isn't a problem, there's no need to shoot it.

no there might be no need to shoot it but that dosent stop them getting shot!..... a fox is just a fox is just a fox to most farmers,hunters etc:roll

If they weren't ever a problem, and their numbers were self sustaining without ever becoming too numerous, there would be no requirement to control numbers. They are generally shot upon the request of a landowner who has suffered numerous losses to their livestock.

It's the same with any other species that becomes too numerous and too successful for it's own good, where there is no natural predator to keep numbers in check. The best way imo and the opinion of many others, is to naturally mimic that selection process, by culling those that are least likely to survive, including those that come into conflict with other predators, of which man is the only one in many instances

oh please...dont tell me they only kill the weak and the old

I'm personally against messing around with the reproductive systems of wild animals, we do enough damage to ourselves and domesticated animals, causing infertility problems left right and centre. Culling maintains a much healther, younger and more robust population overall, by removing animals that are ill, deformed, or older.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think im aware that Badgers are protected.

yes protected 'vermin'

And yes,i do know that foxes are territorial.When you shoot a dog or vixen-another will take over the area which is why vermin control is a ongoing thing.

bit pointless shooting them then int it if another fox just moves straight into that area

Can you anwser me this?

What gets up your nose then-the fact that deer are culled or that people pay money to do it?

omg ive said it 3 times 2 words...Trophy Hunting!

Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Not pointless in the slightest-it reduces their numbers and like i said its ongoing.

So what dont you like about trophy hunting? Is it that people pay money to stalk or something else??? The beast is eaten so wheres the problem? Im really curious why!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not pointless in the slightest-it reduces their numbers and like i said its ongoing.

So what dont you like about trophy hunting? Is it that people pay money to stalk or something else??? The beast is eaten so wheres the problem? Im really curious why!
it is a bit pointless tho if another fox just jumps straight into that territory

i detest these obscene immoral people who travel the world paying money to kill the biggest most impressive animals, it dosent matter whether thats a Stag,Lion,Bear or whatever... they are all hunted down because some egotistical sicko with money wanted the most spectacular amongst them stuffed and mounted!..altho im really glad to hear the meat from stags is used these people couldnt care less about the meat and because any animal can be 'bought' it is having a terrible impact on many species across the globe... so i believe all trophy hunting should be banned.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
lol rubbish! but some folk dont want to think the fox is anything but a pest whatever studies have prooved ... i grew up in the countryside, my parents still live there, our garden backs directly onto open countryside i had rabbits and guinea pigs throughout my childhood and never had a single one taken by a fox...because they were kept secure even in the USA where they have coyote,mountain lion,wolves and bears(bit more challenging than the fox!) there are predator friendly farmers who have learnt to live alongside the wildlife that share their land and not blast it to kingdom come!....shame theres not more like em the environment would be so much healthier......
Not many Farmers! Oh and yes, the Wolves are now being culled more so arent they? Wonder why that is?

One other point, perhaps you should get out a map and just LOOK at the difference in SIZE of the UK to US! There is a clue there but culling still remains.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Not many Farmers! Oh and yes, the Wolves are now being culled more so arent they? Wonder why that is?

One other point, perhaps you should get out a map and just LOOK at the difference in SIZE of the UK to US! There is a clue there but culling still remains.
its because theyre vilified and yes some even hate wolves so much that they are trying to amend the Endangered Species Act to exempt the grey wolf from it....so quite possibly in the not too distant future there will be no more wolves for them to worry about!....the trophy hunters can bag up.

sorry dont get your point about size
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
its because theyre vilified and yes some even hate wolves so much that they are trying to amend the Endangered Species Act to exempt the grey wolf from it....so quite possibly in the not too distant future there will be no more wolves for them to worry about!....the trophy hunters can bag up.

Oh 'ere we go.

I'm sorry Noushka05, but the more I read your posts, the more extreme you come across. I honestly believe that animal species maintained in balance survive best of all. But unfortunately, in this modern world we live out of balance, and to expect any wild population of animals to maintain itself in the way it would should, if it lived in an uninhibited and wild manner, much as it did before man ever came along, is simply unrealistic. The efforts of people to conserve and keep populations of animals at a healthy and sustainable level is looked down upon by anyone who views animals in a Disneyland type manner, any killing is deemed unacceptable, even if it benefits the population of a species overall.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Oh 'ere we go.

I'm sorry Noushka05, but the more I read your posts, the more extreme you come across. I honestly believe that animal species maintained in balance survive best of all. But unfortunately, in this modern world we live out of balance, and to expect any wild population of animals to maintain itself in the way it would should, if it lived in an uninhibited and wild manner, much as it did before man ever came along, is simply unrealistic. The efforts of people to conserve and keep populations of animals at a healthy and sustainable level is looked down upon by anyone who views animals in a Disneyland type manner, any killing is deemed unacceptable, even if it benefits the population of a species overall.
LMFAO im extreme at least i dont want to kill anything that moves! oh and 200 independant scientists must be extreme aswell then! and how will it benefit the population if numbers are so low and fragmented....theyre not going to be sustainable because they dont want to conserve them!....but anyway it dosent matter what anyone says if the ESA is amended they can just wipe the lot out in one go if they choose!

here just incase you missed these facts off the other forum

elk are thriving since the wolves reintroduction ...http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/New...opulations.htm..... and poor husbandry is the biggest killer of livestock not predators and certainly Not wolves

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

You dont get my point about size? Erm try comparing the size of the Uk to the US and think just for a minute if a larger country can sustain more predators?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
LMFAO im extreme at least i dont want to kill anything that moves! oh and 200 independant scientists must be extreme aswell then! and how will it benefit the population if numbers are so low and fragmented....theyre not going to be sustainable because they dont want to conserve them!....but anyway it dosent matter what anyone says if the ESA is amended they can just wipe the lot out in one go if they choose!

here just incase you missed these facts off the other forum

elk are thriving since the wolves reintroduction ...http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/New...opulations.htm..... and poor husbandry is the biggest killer of livestock not predators and certainly Not wolves

Have we switched threads, or did I miss something?

Noushka05, I think your comment about killing anything that moves really speaks for itself. The people I know involved with hunting and shooting respect the animals, or quarry, and don't want to just kill it all. Your perception seems to be that anyone involved with hunting and shooting just want to wipe any particular species out, which isn't accurate at all.
Page 15 of 51 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »