Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 12:23 PM

I am insulting apparently!!!

Last week there was a fire at my kids school, they were sent home and told that school would not open till at least Monday (today).

On Friday me and OH went to school to help clean etc. We were shocked at the damage, 2 classrooms gutted . Thankfully nobody was hurt. OH is a sparky and had a good look around, the fire is thought to be electrical.

However as of dinner time yesterday the school website had not been updated as to whether school would be open. At dinner time we got a text saying it would be

So as I am a former govenor and I know the chair of gov's on FB I messaged him, asking if school had been deemed to be safe ie had an electrical test been done, had gas pipes etc been checked and had the alarm been retested. As some parents had concerns including me and Ash. I Also asked if H&S had passed it as safe. Well I got a snotty email back saying that he found my questions insulting and that school would not be passed to open unless the relevant parties said it was safe to do so. But he did not answer my specific questions. I replied apologising if he thought I was being insulting but I said that I am sure most parents would be asking the same. I have quite a lot of H&S background and Ash deals heavily in it himself. So we just wanted reassuring . He replied again in a similar tone saying he had answered my questions in his previous mail.....errr no he fobbed me off.

Kids went to school today it obviously still smells very strongly of smoke, I have since found out an electrical test has not yet been carried out!!!

So I now feel I cant ask questions of my school for fear of being insulting

Well pardon me for caring about the kids

Sorry just needed to get that off my chest
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Sounds like an idiot and he did fob you off.

Try not to let people like this get to you, but is there anyone else you can get in touch with H&S wise to make sure all is ok?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Sounds like an idiot and he did fob you off.

Try not to let people like this get to you, but is there anyone else you can get in touch with H&S wise to make sure all is ok?
I am trying to find out, the teachers were even saying today is too soon . Am going to contact our councillor I want to be sure they are safe. I am not one of them mums who cant wait for them to go to school. I would rather them home too long than go back too early....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I would be passing my concerns and printouts of all correspondence on to the Chair of the LEA
Insulting? Man, he doesn`t know the meaning of the word!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I agree with the others hun, go over his head.....nasty man
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2010, 09:06 PM
How awful! I agree contact the LEA directly - I thin he was the insulting one!!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2010, 10:10 PM
hey... you're totally within your rights! Is there an H&S officer you could contact.... you're a concerned parent.... you have every right to ask questions.... and the answer you received was inadequate.... if the school had done it correctly... you would not have been perceived as insulting... their answer is enough to prove that they're at fault IMO...
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
hey... you're totally within your rights! Is there an H&S officer you could contact.... you're a concerned parent.... you have every right to ask questions.... and the answer you received was inadequate.... if the school had done it correctly... you would not have been perceived as insulting... their answer is enough to prove that they're at fault IMO...
my concerns exactly !!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Goodluck with this. Keep us posted xxx