Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 06:35 PM

I think we have reached teenagehood!!

Codee (Pointer) will be 5 months old soon and has, I think decided to test the waters... she is usually so loving, kisses you when she sees you first thing or you come in from being away or she has been asleep and she still does all that... she also is very compliant when outside the home has excellent recall (so far...) and is learning heelwork, is good with other dogs, people etc...
But she has started to growl, when we put her to bed, when the boys are eating something she wants or she has something they want, yes I know the later is normal... But I am used to dafty setters who just say 'Oh go on then, have it...' no bared teeth, no arguments!!
The thing is a couple of times she has snapped and teeth have connected with skin, no blood, but it does worry me!
Now I hope it is just hormones and teenagehood etc, but if anyone has any advice I would be grateful, as the only dogs I have had from pups have been my English setters and they never displayed this behaviour at all....
Ta!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I think maybe be firm but gentle at the same time with her.

sounds like she is pushing the boundaries too see how far she can go.

Can you do a swap thing with her. Or distraction.

I am sure she will outgrow it and it is her hormones playing up.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-12-2009, 07:28 PM
sounds familiar! our pup is just coming up 5months. He used to growl and snap when it came to bedtime, now he has his "bedtime biscuit" (suggested by one of the training class instructors). We bought some different treat biscuits and he only ever gets that type at night. Now I only have to shout "bedtime" and he runs to bed and lies down!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think maybe be firm but gentle at the same time with her.

sounds like she is pushing the boundaries too see how far she can go.

Can you do a swap thing with her. Or distraction.

I am sure she will outgrow it and it is her hormones playing up.
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
sounds familiar! our pup is just coming up 5months. He used to growl and snap when it came to bedtime, now he has his "bedtime biscuit" (suggested by one of the training class instructors). We bought some different treat biscuits and he only ever gets that type at night. Now I only have to shout "bedtime" and he runs to bed and lies down!
Thanks guys, I will try these techniques, especially the biscuit one as she is food motivated!!