View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Going to be walking a Rottie & Akita - how would you go about it?!

You may remember a while back I had a little fall out with the relatives re my daughter sleeping with their Rottweiler & Akita. Well the situation has calmed down (dogs sleep downstairs now! ).
So the ex son-in-law has gone off with his father (my ex) to work the festival season which lasts about 4 months leaving his partner with 3 young kids - 10 weeks - 2 years & 8 years. Me being me has offered to walk the beasts!
How would you go about doing this - should I take them out individually & suss them out before doing the double act? At what point do I let them off, apparently they're fine but I don't want to risk a situation. Eeek its so easy with a chihuahua!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I would start with one at a time, get used to them and let them get used to you,

I would have there owner there the first time you let them off lead, it could be a good idea to do this with them one at a time also,

im sure you will be fine, go by your gut feeling x
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:39 PM
i would say the same walk them both one at a time .as there both big breeds . like shona says ,with the owner present .
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm really looking forward to it! Its going to be time consuming to start with doing 1 at a time but I can't wait to get my big dog fix. The first time is tomorrow. I think I'll be going out later to buy nice smelly treats for them (and me) to munch on the way!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I'm really looking forward to it! Its going to be time consuming to start with doing 1 at a time but I can't wait to get my big dog fix. The first time is tomorrow. I think I'll be going out later to buy nice smelly treats for them (and me) to munch on the way!
im sure you will love it, just make sure they earn those treats and you should be off to a good start, dont lavish to much on them just for, or they may see your as a push over, x
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Mmm good point there re pushover. I'll be having over my fair share of the chicken & hotdog then!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I would agree...until they have a bit of a relationship with you I would go for seperate walks.

Once you feel confident things will fall into place...

Its odd what you say about walking bigs dogs.....I panic walking smalls!
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:30 PM
How many walks have you actually gone out on, either with the owner, or yourself? How well do you know them outside and around other dogs, have you seen how they behave and most importantly do you know how to keep them under control? How does the owner keep them under control and where are the area's they can be let off free. These are the questions I would be asking myself. Only because of their size and what they can do to one's arm socket! Really do suggest that you go with the owner on as many walks as possible from now to then.

This way you can learn to keep the owner's training going and building up the trust issues, people who love dogs, as you know, can't stop talking about dogs! This way you will be developing a relationship so that the owner and you, can feel good about the dogs in the absence of the owner and changes.

Ask the owner to help you with his commands and as the time come's closer allow you to give all the commands. Thus, allowing you to be respected and giving you your status from one to the other and establish yourself as the pack leader.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would agree...until they have a bit of a relationship with you I would go for seperate walks.

Once you feel confident things will fall into place...

Its odd what you say about walking bigs dogs.....I panic walking smalls!
That's funny when I walk other people's dogs I always feel more confident with handling them if they are big.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I have done lots of big do walking - just not recently. Before actually owning a dog I would have just got on with it - now I like to double check I'm doing it right. Its going to be a shock to the system with a big dog v my Chi x. Can't wait! There are no commands with the owners (don't start me on that one! lol) I doubt that I will get the woman to come out with me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >