Pharoah Dog 7 21.88%
Saluki 6 18.75%
Greyhound 8 25.00%
Could be any ofthe 1st 3 options 4 12.50%
Greyhound or saluki - could be any of these 2 options 1 3.13%
Greyhound or Pharoah Dog- could be any of these 2 options 1 3.13%
Saluki or Pharoah Dog - could be any of these 2 options 5 15.63%
None of the above - please specify 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Greyhounds are the fastest breed as opposed to one of the fastest as far as I'm aware... Bit of a dumb question, I would say saluki, pharoah hound and greyhound are all right.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I saw Going for Gold, Stuart did really well, he should be proud he appeared very cool and calm

I would have answered greyhound simply because i have two greyhounds and so have done quite a bit of reading up on them, history etc...
I have a few books and it describes them in the history sections similar to the question Stuart was asked.
I guess it's a bit of dodgy one and no way of knowing for sure.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Dunno, but if you breed all three of these together... you get one of these:

Pharaoh's mum is a Saluki/Pharaoh hound cross and his dad is a greyhound!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by monkeydonkey View Post
I saw Going for Gold, Stuart did really well, he should be proud he appeared very cool and calm

I would have answered greyhound simply because i have two greyhounds and so have done quite a bit of reading up on them, history etc...
I have a few books and it describes them in the history sections similar to the question Stuart was asked.
I guess it's a bit of dodgy one and no way of knowing for sure.
Aw thanks maybe when he reads all the threads today he'll see why I spend so much time on Dogsey! You are all fab

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Dunno, but if you breed all three of these together... you get one of these:

Pharaoh's mum is a Saluki/Pharaoh hound cross and his dad is a greyhound!
Lovely pic, so assuming it could be all 3,, Stuart was actually correct when he said Pharaoh, he was just being really precise by giving the dogs actaual name!! Great pic!!!!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
tricky one but i've done a bit of investigating and Pharoah Hounds come from Malta apparently, Saluki are from Iran, Galgo are from Spain and Rhodesian Ridgebacks are counted as sighthounds too which i didn't know. Greyhound could be used as a general term i suppose but its a bit vague, although they go back as far as 2nd century AD and descend from the Asiatic wolf (?)
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
tricky one but i've done a bit of investigating and Pharoah Hounds come from Malta apparently, Saluki are from Iran, Galgo are from Spain and Rhodesian Ridgebacks are counted as sighthounds too which i didn't know. Greyhound could be used as a general term i suppose but its a bit vague, although they go back as far as 2nd century AD and descend from the Asiatic wolf (?)
I have found that the Saluki has also been bred with the desert wolf to produce a dog with specific hunting traits found in wolves.
I will be able to join in the wolf dog discussions now
Reisu, it is debatable as to whether the Greyhound is the fastest dog. The Saluki is certainly in contention but because the Saluki doesn't run in a straight line but instead "slaloms" (zig zags) it is difficult to compare their speed like for like. They are known to have greater stamina and can run for longer.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm afraid I think he should've got it.

All three answers could've been as good as each other and whilst Pharoah Hound may not have been 100%, I don't think greyhound would've been either.

So... if greyhound gets the point - so does PH imo!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi - I voted for Pharaoh Hound on the basis that there can't have been anything much before the Pharaohs were around!!

Greyhound seems to be a 'generic' term to me, but I'll admit I'm definately no expert so don't listen to me

Well done to your OH for getting as far as he did.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
My mum said she was yellling Saluki from almost the first part of the clue and that her book about dogs from 19oatcake says that

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I have found that the Saluki has also been bred with the desert wolf to produce a dog with specific hunting traits found in wolves.
I will be able to join in the wolf dog discussions now
Reisu, it is debatable as to whether the Greyhound is the fastest dog. The Saluki is certainly in contention but because the Saluki doesn't run in a straight line but instead "slaloms" (zig zags) it is difficult to compare their speed like for like. They are known to have greater stamina and can run for longer.
Yeah a lot of things I have read today state the Saluki is faster than the greyhound but all 3 of the breeds mentioned travel faster than the speed given

Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I'm afraid I think he should've got it.

All three answers could've been as good as each other and whilst Pharoah Hound may not have been 100%, I don't think greyhound would've been either.

So... if greyhound gets the point - so does PH imo!
Thanks Lottie. I agree I am not saying greyhound is WRONG I am saying it is quite possibly any of the breeds mentioned

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Hi - I voted for Pharaoh Hound on the basis that there can't have been anything much before the Pharaohs were around!!

Greyhound seems to be a 'generic' term to me, but I'll admit I'm definately no expert so don't listen to me

Well done to your OH for getting as far as he did.
Like it Harvey - yip I like that logic. Thanks I will let my OH read all the posts later though I have told him about them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I thought Afghan hounds were as fast? I had one overtake me one day horse-riding and he just breezed past.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >