Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So why the question?

I did not realise you had to have bred a litter to be able to see the benefits of health testing,

We also differ in what we call a reputable breeder, for me, its one who health tests and takes note of said health tests, not one that ignores the tests on more than one occasion.

If as you say the WL GSD is in such a bottleneck of inbreeding and numerically small gene pool, they have to use dogs with poor health results in the breeding pool, then its a sorry state of affairs, we are not talking (or are we) of a breed that is on the brink of extinction, one that has so few born, drastic action needs to be taken to keep the breed alive.
The question was simply asked because it would seem that those of us who have never bred a litter (never mind bred the same breed successfully for over 30 years) cannot surely grasp the level of knowledge and complexity that goes into producing successful litters. When you think that the breeder must know sire and dam lines going back for generations and then choose the right sire for their bitch to compliment her (hopefully, but breeding is not a science), know all about temperaments that are likely to come through in pups, as well as genetic conditions, work drive, social drive etc etc etc, then it is quite mind-blowing. It is so much more than numbers on pieces of paper.

The breeder I bought my WL dog off is reputable as far as I am concerned, as she has the breed's wellbeing at heart. She knows this breed inside and out, is knowledgeable and dedicated to her dogs. She has produced many successful working police dogs, prison dogs and some sport dogs as well as active, well balanced companion and family dogs. My dog is healthy and from health tested parents, with an outstanding temperament (which can be lacking in this breed in many instances unfortunately) and is goddamned gorgeous too Not much wrong there!

Unfortunately it would seem that the working line dog is coming away from what it should be with the focus being on sport (rather than work) and the true balanced temperament is being lost in the quest for more and more drive and masking of the true dog by electric training.

Of all the dogs currently working at the top in UK, Zak's breeder doesn't know of any that are not electric trained and this is why she doesn't use them, as she simply would not know what she was using in terms of self control, biddability and natural speed because the dogs are working like machines in a stressy way.

Her words, not mine - and again, it goes to show that this breeder has her finger on the pulse of what is happening in terms of potential stud dogs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I said to look at the big picture and breed MORE really good dogs but to take less litters from each of them
I said not to knee jerk just because we have a test like HD to actually study the results of inheritance and things before simply ruling out dogs
To ask questions as to WHY a bad result is a bad result

I havent at any point said to breed from unhealthy dogs - but of course you like to put words in my mouth

Are you saying that in numerically large breeds like labs there are not enough healthy dogs that we have to heavilly inbreed and use the same sire again and again?
and tbh if there are breeds that that is actually the case then these breeds are prety much doomed anyway

am I saying to breed from a carrier of a horrible condiion - no of course not - if we are 100% sure about how the condition is passed on and we can wipe it out of a breed with testing

am I saying not to breed from a dog with what is considered a 'bed' result on hips - if there is no ecidence of anything but a number on paper and the dog is in no way suffering then until we have more research done on this condition then more things have to be taken into considerations

Health testing is ONE thing
But I think breeders and fanciers are using it as a crutch so they dont have to look at other issues like popular sire syndrome and linebreeding

Health testing can be very usefull to remove some (fairly rare) conditions from a breed (which lets face it are only a problem in a individual breed because of the excessive line breeding used to 'fix' things in a breed) which is a good thing
But the ever shrinking gene pool is a time bomb than can potentially cause a whole breed to be wiped out as their imune system becomes more and more similar one breed can be wiped out by one desease - it is a real concern
Absolutely spot on yet again BenMc! I want to keep reppie-ing you , but it won't let me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I agree with you. There are many, many considerations that a decent breeder has to take on board
I agree with Rune about temperament too. I would bet there are far more dogs on the UK's streets with a bad temperament than bad health.

So by your admission above, surely you must realise that breeding a litter is not a numbers game?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
yep - breeding well is fraught with difficulties and is impossible to make up generic 'rules' that will suit all breeds - it's all too easy to go with a hard line on supposed priorities but the reality is seldom that simple.

The most important thing is to stop the blame game when problems are discovered - if breeders are vilified for producing dogs with something like epilepsy for example they are more likely to hide such problems and refuse to take part in DNA testing etc - this is a disaster for any breed - we need honesty and a sharing of information - anyone who breeds for any length of time will have produced dogs with one problem or another at some point ( myself included ! ) - it's the nature of what we are dealing with....and the public needs to be realistic in their expectations of what breeders can do...the world is a different place now - when I bred my first litter 25 years ago there were no mandatory health tests and genes were something you wore when walking the dogs - now every year brings more and more advances in our kniowledge ..and with that comes even more complex choices .....the future is exciting in that we can at last work with geneticists to try and eliminate many health problems affecting our beloved breeds - but such solutions will inevitably have to be worked on a breed by breed basis and in many cases they will involve a degree of line breeding and and take at least 3-4 generations ...
Another well-informed post, spoken by someone with obvious experience.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
So by your admission above, surely you must realise that breeding a litter is not a numbers game?
Not sure I understand what you mean

As said previously, there must surely be enough healthy, well adjusted dogs that look like their breed out there so that diversity can still take place?

If not, why not?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean

As said previously, there must surely be enough healthy, well adjusted dogs that look like their breed out there so that diversity can still take place?

If not, why not?
You said ... I agree with you (Rune's post). There are many, many considerations that a decent breeder has to take on board.

And therefore when a breeder is looking to breed a healthy, purposeful litter, it isn't as simple as putting two (on paper) healthy dogs, with good individual temperaments. There is so much more to it than that. You need to find a dog that will compliment the bitch - his strengths may make up for her weaknesses and so on and so forth. Dogs are not perfect - you have to do the best you can with the knowledge and experience you have.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 05:42 PM
You said ... I agree with you (Rune's post). There are many, many considerations that a decent breeder has to take on board.

And therefore when a breeder is looking to breed a healthy, purposeful litter, it isn't as simple as putting two (on paper) healthy dogs, with good individual temperaments. There is so much more to it than that. You need to find a dog that will compliment the bitch - his strengths may make up for her weaknesses and so on and so forth. Dogs are not perfect - you have to do the best you can with the knowledge and experience you have.
Getcha and yes, I agree for the most part, but I'm scratching my head at the strengths and weaknesses as, of course, you can never know whether the strength or the weakness will show through in the pups

I would have thought it obvious that to breed from a genetically nervous bitch or dog is tempting fate and so should not be done. I would have thought it just as obvious that to breed from a dog or bitch with a known genetic disorder should also not be done.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 06:33 PM
The question was simply asked because it [B]would seem that those of us who have never bred a litter[/B] (never mind bred the same breed successfully for over 30 years) cannot surely grasp the level of knowledge and complexity that goes into producing successful litters.

s.
Oh I think we can, you don't have to be in it to understand all the complexities involved when breeding.

Granted it takes years of knowledge to understand you lines and others , but it does not take 30 years to understand that breeding from dogs ( when you don't need to) that have less than good health results is not in the best interest of ones breed.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Absolutely not - and the irony of your statements have not gone unnoticed!
What irony?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:10 PM

I'm quite shocked that you seem to think just because the vast majority of use have never bred dogs we don't understand the basic principles. Of course we do, but what I can never, ever condone is a breeder who has taken risks in the past and seen the consequences, has openly stated that uneven hip scores can be trouble, but then has proceeded to do the exact same thing all over again! Is one set of severely dysplastic puppies not enough???

As far as I'm concerned, given the evidence I've seen on this thread, your breeder is clearly breeding for her own ego. She has seen the fallout from using a dog with uneven hips, but continues to do it all over again just because she can, because it happens to suit what she wants to produce and as long as the puppy buyers get their money back when their pup turns out to be crippled then it's acceptable. In my mind she has the exact same ethos as the worst kind of show breeder: I'll do what I want because I've always done what I want regardless of the consequence to the dogs.

Again I will say it: I don't care how special this dog is he should not be bred from due to his uneven hips and the VERY real risk of him passing this on to his offspring. End of story.
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >