Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2009, 10:20 AM
oh I love a good rant

We have no wheelie bins!! Black bags for rubbish and recently introduced blue recycling bags.

I keep a wheelie bin in the back garden to keep the bags in ( to try and keep the smell in and stop the birds) but have to empty it ang carry the bags round the front. The bin men come at all different times of the day so you can imagine the mess

We have no facility for removing garden rubbish so have to take to to the tip or pay to have it uplifted

I suppose the only saving grace is that we still have weekly collections.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't have a prob with it all?

We have 2 bins.......a gray bin for household waste (including food), and a brown bin for garden waste.
We also have green boxes for glass/cardboard/tin cans
We also have a blue bag for paper.

Everything is collected bi-weekly.
Everyone on my street has to keep them by their front door, as we have no access to our back gardens, apart from the end terraces!

My bins/boxes are always full, but i've NEVER had maggots in them!
I even put the dog poo from the garden in, so the bins do smell a bit when you open them, but still never had maggots!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Well Birmingham City Council provide a roll of black bin liner i think 6 monthly which last about 2 weeks and then you buy your own, this is collected weekly. But you are not allowed to put the bags out too early or you get fined even tho the bin men come at 6.30amish. Then we have a green box for glass and plastic and a blue one for paper that is collected every other week but in a normal household you can usually have filled these in an afternoon. Garden waste, we have green sacks for that is also collected every other week and if they suspect you have put something not on the garden rubbish list they rip open your bag and put a sticker on to say they will not collect it and leave it in the middle of the pavement.

I send my OH down the tip with mine as we only live a couple of miles down the road.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I wonder why everyone has something different. Im quite suprised that some people are still using black bin bags. We havnt used them for years up here. We used to have the recycling box's but they did with them this year and now we have a wheely bin for it.

So to clarify - we have 3 wheely bins.

One black one with a box inside for glass/batts and on the inside of it you put plastic bottles, cans, and paper.

One green wheely bin for general waste

And one brown bin for garden waste.

Its really funny how they all aint the same colour, it would be so much easier
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:51 PM
We have two wheelie bins a green one for general waste, black one for recycling, they are collected every other week (recycling one week, general waste the next), we were then supplied with four black boxes for glass, but we persuaded the bin men to leave us another wheelie bin (blue with a slot in the top for posting glass) which we share with our two neighbours, that is collected once a month, but we don't have garden waste collection.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't have a prob with it all?

We have 2 bins.......a gray bin for household waste (including food), and a brown bin for garden waste.
We also have green boxes for glass/cardboard/tin cans
We also have a blue bag for paper.

Everything is collected bi-weekly.
Everyone on my street has to keep them by their front door, as we have no access to our back gardens, apart from the end terraces!

My bins/boxes are always full, but i've NEVER had maggots in them!
I even put the dog poo from the garden in, so the bins do smell a bit when you open them, but still never had maggots!
No, I've also got it perfect down here too!

The Council provide me with a great big green bin with a blue lid, into which goes all my cardboard, plastic, tins, and paper,so everything is dry, nothing smells, and that's collected once a fortnight.

The also provide us with a great big brown bin which is for garden waste only, and that's collected fortnightly again on the week's when the recycling isn't, but I never use that one coz I don't do gardening here!

The DON'T provide us with a household waste wheelie bin, so I bought one from them at a cost of £50 (ish) and it's twice the size of what I was using, i.e. two dustins, and it looks nice and neat standing next to the recycling bin instead of those dustbins I had. I just use the normal black tie sacks, and everything goes into that big black bin and the lid is shut, and it's collected EACH WEEK, and when they've emptied it, I bleach it and hose it out in the road, and bring it back into the driveway where it lives all neat and tidy.

Then there's my own dog poo dustbin into which goes all my little poo bags into the black plastic sack in there, and that gets thrown into the main black bin each week. I have to bleach spray the tops of all my bins coz of the sap from a great big lime tree outside my house which the flies and wasps like, and then I hose it off, so nothing smells. I'm soooo lucky that I have front and rear access, although we never actually use the front at all, because the back is the driveway and into the kitchen and that's how we live, but I can't imagine not having rear access, it must be a nightmare!

Is your front garden big enough then to put the bins nearer the front gate instead of near the front door?? It must be surely? I could actually stand all my bins outside the driveway gates if I wanted to, coz I have a little verge outside there and it's an unadopted road, so nobody would care if I did, but I don't want my bins nicked!

I think my Council's got it spot on! By the end of the fortnight my recylcling bin is filled to the brim, and each week the black rubbish one is too, so it's all brilliant for me!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Gosh, I feel bad about complaining about our system now.

We have a black wheelie bin for non recyclable waste and some black recycle bins (x3) for waste that can be recycled. It all goes into one and they sort at the main depo when it gets there.

We keep the wheelie bin round the back out of view and have a cupboard with a plastic tub in to collect recycling in the house that gets emptied into the main boxes when full.

Simples.

The only trouble is our streets are so narrow they can no longer get round the back to collect (car parking is a major issue here), so we now need to either keep our bin out the front (no way!!) or wheel it from the back, along the street to the front, until it's been collected and then wheel it back again.

Also, we recycle so much that our wheelie bin is only ever used for poo bags and one kitchen bin bag a week. The ******s NEVER tip it up high enough to get all poo bags form the bottom of the bin out so they sit there and STINK in the heat!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 04:46 PM
First of all, I work for the Council and yes we've had all kinds of problems. I don't agree with the fortnightly collection but they won't change it so what can you do. We did however have problems getting the 'acceptable' clear plastic council bags for plastics and cardboard delivered to us. When we ran out, we didn't get replacements and someone often nicked our green glass recycling box.
Just before I started woring for the council, OH got so fed up he parcelled up our recycling and posted it back to the Council's recycling manager. A massive box of our recycling landing on his desk at the council offices LOL Amazingly enough, said recycling manager turned up at our house the next day with a load of plastic sacks and replacement green box
Now that I work for the council, I know who I can tap up to get stuff replaced. My as well use my contacts if I can eh? They want good service from the helpdesk, I get my recycling bags LOL
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 04:51 PM
We are still behind the times here and anything just goes in black bags. We bought our own wheelie bin from B&Q. Recycling comes once a fortnight but misses us every time as we are round the corner, so I take my own plastic & glass to the tip. ( I look like a wino!!)
I've seen all the different coloured bins at my in laws in Chester though and it's way too confusing! I'm always getting mum in law on my back telling me "noooo wrong bin!!!"
and in Liverpool my mum's bin is bright purple - not a snob or anything but they look horrible!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
First of all, I work for the Council and yes we've had all kinds of problems. I don't agree with the fortnightly collection but they won't change it so what can you do. We did however have problems getting the 'acceptable' clear plastic council bags for plastics and cardboard delivered to us. When we ran out, we didn't get replacements and someone often nicked our green glass recycling box.
Just before I started woring for the council, OH got so fed up he parcelled up our recycling and posted it back to the Council's recycling manager. A massive box of our recycling landing on his desk at the council offices LOL Amazingly enough, said recycling manager turned up at our house the next day with a load of plastic sacks and replacement green box
Now that I work for the council, I know who I can tap up to
get stuff replaced. My as well use my contacts if I can eh? They want good service from the helpdesk, I get my recycling bags LOL
hmmm, wonder how much it would cost to post my brown wheelie bin?!?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >