View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NicoleLouu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Couldn't help myself? Right thing to do?

So I have a little puppy, but he isn't with me just yet. He's 5 weeks old now, and is still with his litter, and will be staying until 8 weeks old.

However, I came across a site on [a social network] about rescues, and seen 2 little girl staffies, look under a year old, age wasn't stated. But they had overstayed in a pound and were in desperate need of a home, or they would be put to sleep .. I applied and have been chosen to rescue them, out of many applicants.

I know I'll have my hands full with my new little boy (also a staffy), but I couldn't stand and watch 2 healthy girls be pts, knowing I could of done something..

Just wondering if it was the right thing to do? Especially with a young puppy coming home soon too. I can't help but feel like I had the opportunity to give them a chance at life, and took it with both hands.. They're believed to be sisters too, which makes it worthwhile knowing I'm offering them a life long home together

Here's the 2 beautiful girls;
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/r...x/girlpups.jpg
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
You asked this question already about 2 dogs ..what do you think the answer will be with 3..?
NicoleLouu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
You asked this question already about 2 dogs ..what do you think the answer will be with 3..?
I suppose, but family have also agreed, so I won't be the sole responsibility, these girls will be shared responsibility. I have spoken to family and OH, and everyone has agreed to help out x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Just want to recap now after applying for and having been accepted - you are wondering if it is the right thing to do................excuse me a moment while I find a brick wall.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I personally wouldn't, I like giving a new puppy full attention and with rescue dogs chances are you might have to give them individual attention too. I think you should have considered this more before you went for it, or chosen to not take on the rescue dogs and a puppy at the same time. If you had them a while and knew them I would think different of it. Sadly many dogs are put down every day and we can't save them all.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
The mod's can remove this post if they want but are you for real or on a wind up?
NicoleLouu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Just want to recap now after applying for and having been accepted - you are wondering if it is the right thing to do................excuse me a moment while I find a brick wall.
No, I'm going ahead, I mean with having a young puppy with them. Apologies, I'm useless at putting things into words..
NicoleLouu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The mod's can remove this post if they want but are you for real or on a wind up?
Why would I be winding up? The puppy is mine, my family will be taking most responsibility for the girls, but I'll be financially responsible for all 3..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Sorry but I think you have made a massive mistake.

You are going from having no dogs to having three. I don't know your level of experience with dogs but having three dogs is a massive responsibility and not one to be taken lightly. I have never known anyone to acquire three dogs in the space of weeks and this is with good reason.

What will you do if these two bitches start fighting? they are young at the moment but given their breeds, you don't know if they will still tolerate each other when they reach maturity. There is a reason most reputable breeders don't rehome two pups together, especially two Staff bitches. All it could take is one small incident for them to fall out and that would be it. Could you cope with keeping two dogs that want to kill each other separate at all times if it came to that?

How will you manage to divide your time between three young, untrained dogs?

Do you have any idea of the temperament of the two Staff bitches? assuming you have no idea, what if they already posess behavioural problems which your new puppy then picks up? do you have the time and experience to handle any behavioural issues these two Staff bitches posses, all while trying to settle in/toilet train/obedience train an 8 week old puppy?
NicoleLouu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I haven't posted this to get into anything argumentative or any debate. My question was meant to come across as it being the right thing to do with a young pup. They've been assessed and are perfectly fine with other dogs. I have my OH and family helping out with the girls, the puppy is my sole responsibility. My family also wanted dogs after I got my puppy, therefore, rescuing was the best idea we thought of.

Thread will be delted if there is any debating negative comments. Not because I can't take it, fact is it's not the time nor place to argue or give sarcasm..
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »