View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 05:49 PM

Breeding: should it be controlled by legislation?

not sure if this shud be put in heated debates. So here goes.

Does anyone think there should be a law to ban the amount of breeding that goes on. I know it would be very hard to enforce.

So like, maybe limited to the amount of litters a person is allowed to produce... or maybe not allow breeding if health checks have not taken place.

Or maybe every person who gets a dog shud be well informed of the risks of breeding and consequences as there are many people wanting to breed just because their vet told them that they shud breed at least once! I shudnt think these people r doing health checks.

What are everyones views on this?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 05:50 PM
I know that if you breed more than 2 litters, you're supposed to have a licence.

Something like that anyway!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2004, 06:21 PM
i have looked into this already
if your breeding from you own home and own 5 bitches even if they don't all live with you you then need a licence.
any less than 5 then you don't,it states that it should only be 1 litter per bitch per calendar year which i agree with but it doesn't state that the dogs used have to have the health checks.
the one litter per year is a way of making sure the bitch is upto the next litter for her own health but there will always be some that don't put the dogs first and just see pound signs.
i have looked into this in case i do breed in the future to make sure i have every thing needed in place before i go down that line but i was told if i am only having 1 litter per year then i don't need a licence.
the way i understood it a licence is just to state the kennel etc has the required space etc to have pups etc.
it will never stop puppy farms etc because alot of them have licences and look how the dogs are treated.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 07:42 PM
i think any mass breeding is out of order. i would not thnk it fair for a bitch to have more than a couple of litters. i know a few of you will disagree with me and thats fine but i feel sorry for any dogs who have more than a couple of litters who are purely kept to breed from as this is just glorified puppy farming and these dogs lead miserable lifes none of you women would want to spend you rwhole life just churning out babies one pregnancy after the other.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
would not thnk it fair for a bitch to have more than a couple of litters. i know a few of you will disagree with me
nope totally agree with you Katy
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Jenny
you may find that the KC doesnt impose TOO many restrictions on littters- after all thats where their income comes from registering pups
call me cynical but they could be doing a LOT more
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Think those who allow their studs to be over used should give a lot more thought to what their activities are doing to the breed they love too. Over breeding is always going to harm dogs in general and the breed concerned in particular.

In a perfect world no puppy would be born without the utmost care and consideration being given to it's chances of leading a healthy live and giving pleasure by having the perfect temperament. Just a pipe dream, people can breed when and how they like and they will continue doing so, even complaining about the attitude of those who consider more care should be taken. Such is life.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 07:57 PM
phew lel
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I think KC say no more than 6 litters in a lifetime, and can't have litters after 8 years of age.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2004, 08:10 PM
thats still a fair few litters from age 2 to age 8. Thats a litter a year, every year in those age groups
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »