Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-09-2014, 08:35 PM

How does your dog reaction to strangers and treats

Mouse is a bit strange since the majority of mastiffs are very food motivated.

At stores or shops if someone gives him a treat he will take it in his teeth and drop it.

(Same dog I have to stick my hand in his mouth 2 or 3 times a day to get a rock or something else out of, and at the warehouse in a hour or 2 on Saturday countless time to get a fitting, zip tie or something else out of.)

When it comes to a stranger he just will not eat it until I or the wife pick it up and give it to him.

He has done this since he was first out and around people at 14 weeks. Anyone else have this happen?
No other mastiff I have owned has ever done this.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Pereg will not take anything from someone she does not know - actually the only person other than from from whom she will take a treat is my neighbour, who she adores [it is mutual].

If it is someone else she knows, she will only take a treat if I convince her it is OK and then only if she has seen me give whatever it is to that person. She rarely has treats and these are tiny things that I call her "sweeties" and are kept in a jar where she can see them - only goes to look at them if I ask if she wants a sweetie. And that is not very often.

I am a horrid old meanie mom, not giving her treats!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2014, 01:40 AM
My dogs will not take treats from anyone period. We were at my best bud's house one day and he tested Callie. First he offered his dogs favorites and Callie wouldn't take anything. Then he moved up to the "big guns", dried liver and bacon treats...his dogs were begging hysterically but Callie just gave a loud sigh and laid down on the floor for a nap.