Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-04-2005, 01:38 AM

How do you keep your dogs busy?

Ok Rockys at that age now where he needs constant mental stimulation!!

Was just wondering what you guys did to keep your lot busy?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2005, 01:45 AM
God I can't imagine what it's like to be in that situation anymore! My dogs are so old they flop in their baskets as soon as we get back from a walk!!
I can remember looking after someones Lab a few years ago and he was a nightmare, never happy unless you were entertaining him!
My advice get another dog or, use a well stuffed kong or buster cube to keep him occupied! Or a huge raw bone might keep him occupied? Alternativley get your self a 6 year old child! To play with the dog, not for him to chew on!!! My 6 year old niece comes to stay every now and then and my poor mutts are knackered for about a week to say the least!! Food for thought anyway!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Interesting walks are good for mental stimulation as well as physical exercise. New sights, smell, sounds, will keep him entertained & thinking. Training sessions where he need to concentrate and think for himself a bit. "Find-it" games. Tracking, if you have the time to train that. If not, seek-backs which are a much shorter variation are good fun for the dog, and can be very useful if you lose something on a walk.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2005, 07:26 AM
At home, Teagan sleeps ALL the time!
She asks for play, plays for 10 mins or so, then goes back to sleep!

But she loves walkies! Meeting people & dogs, smelling things, we play lots of games etc
pete
Almost a Veteran

10-04-2005, 07:34 AM
i have two kids for this job lol, they keep each other amused for hours.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Well I've discovered a great way to keep Archie out of my hair! Don't know if this would work with Rcoky cos he's older, cleverer and stronger, but if you haven't already you could give it a try!

What I did was get a big cardboard box, put all his toys in, and then covered them with another piece of cardboard inside the box. It takes him ages to dig out the toys but he seems really satisfied when he finally gets one!!

There might be ways yo could make this harder for a Presa, as what's challenging to Archie is probably just insulting to Rocky!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Well most of the time I am home i like to spend outside with the dogs and this is when they are happiest. However, if I am out of the house and the dogs are going to be left in for a few hours I always stuff their kongs with fruit and leave them to it keeps them amused for ages.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I fill plastic bottles with kibble and let Star amuse herself. That keeps her busy for ages. Another game she loves is hide and seek, she plays it with my youngest.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

10-04-2005, 09:17 AM
intersting walks, swimmimng, and really intersting training sessions and games are a must for my dogs - they have a constant need for mental stimulation - I'm always trying to think up new ideas to get their brains working ( wish I could come up with some ideas to get my own brain working )
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Normally after their exercise they are quite content to sleep, building up energy for the next exercise period, although they do wrestle a lot with each other in the house.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >