Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 01:36 PM

On road quad bike

Just wondered please if anyone has an 'on road quad bike' and the running costs, tax, insurance etc. also is it possible and legal to take a dog as a passenger, any help or advice much appreciated
Many thanks
H
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Our quad isnt' road legal but there is NO WAY I would take a dog as a passenger...I value my dogs too much
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Our quad isnt' road legal but there is NO WAY I would take a dog as a passenger...I value my dogs too much
Thankyou, i didn't know if one could be adapted somehow with a carrier thing(?) for a small dog to be safe. Best go back to the drawing board x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 08:14 PM
We have on road quads for work, and the dogs go on the back ... But (and it is a big but) the roads around here are single track and quiet, and to be honest I really don't think it is a good idea to consider taking the dogs on the back on busy roads, doing fast speeds.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Local farmer has a trailer on the back of his quad and he takes his two border collies in it. They look like they are loving it!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
We have on road quads for work, and the dogs go on the back ... But (and it is a big but) the roads around here are single track and quiet, and to be honest I really don't think it is a good idea to consider taking the dogs on the back on busy roads, doing fast speeds.

Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Local farmer has a trailer on the back of his quad and he takes his two border collies in it. They look like they are loving it!
Thankyou both, looks like it's not going to be possible, a bicycle with a dog trailer might be another option. Bet the dogs love going on the quads n trailers on the farms
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Thankyou both, looks like it's not going to be possible, a bicycle with a dog trailer might be another option. Bet the dogs love going on the quads n trailers on the farms
Some dogs seem to love it, and others detest it.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Some dogs seem to love it, and others detest it.
Friend of my daughters dog loves it(not on road), have just found out(the one you'd think would be most nervous) but the others won't go on. I don't know if Scoop would be impressed with a bicycle,trailer n a very rusty cyclist at the helm, haven't been on a bike for years(lot of practice needed n won't be going far), but needs must
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Hi H,

Nice thinking but I tend to go with those above who have said it's not adviseable. Problem is there are far too many vehicles on the roads in Britain and quad bikes SFAIK are not really designed for public roads, they are intended for 'off road' use 'tho with certain mods I believe they can be used on public roads but for your safety and that of Scoops I would not advise it.

A push bike with a little trailor would be better and healthier too but, like you, it's a long time since I was on one 'tho I still have my fold up bike which I used to use to nip into town when I worked in Cambridge.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks H, when my daughter was small I had a bicycle with a child seat on the back, she had a protective helmet n safety belts(couldn't drive then). I would always give the same(every possible)protection as much as can if responsible for any passengers in whatever mode of transport, am fortunate to have a small dog, would need a big trailer for a big un