View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
sorry the red bits are wheyyyy too big, whhops!!!!
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You had better let the Smythsonian Institute know that they are wrong then !! In the late 90's they reclassified Canis Familiaris as Canis Lupus Familiaris (or something along those lines, I'm too tired to think straight tonight!), but basically through the mitochondrial RNA, all domestic dogs can be traced back to 3 wolf bitches. The only argument surrounding this is whether wolf first approached man, or whether man first attempted to tame wolf, seeing the potential for sentinels and hunters.
Well have you checked in with them lately? Maybe they've made some revisions? I'll have to get the link to a recent study...ah well thats science for you...its ever changing!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
If I were asked to put my neck on the line, I would say he is pretty fluent, with a few odd slips along the way. The guy's not perfect, I don't believe he is as good as Shaun Ellis, but he's pretty good. He has made mistakes ... who hasn't?

Shaun Ellis who has studied captive wolves & inbred a bitch to a sibling !!!! which is as we all know exactly what happens in the wild(NOT)

Dear doG
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:19 PM
But this is totally natural canine behaviour !! Not unfair at all IMO.
I know what my bitch would do to any strange dog(& even her full brother)that tried to sniff her & I would never stop her & just the opposite is natural for her, she actively chooses which dog can sniff at her & there's only one !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
But this is totally natural canine behaviour !! Not unfair at all IMO.
Yes, IF the dog itself consents to being sniffed. It isn't natural for a dog to be held down so that another dog can sniff it. Loki doesn't like other dogs to approach him from behind and he really doesn't like other dogs sniffing their snouts up his bum, especially without invitation.

Of course they realise this. But why should that mean that we cannot communicate with them on this "pack mentality" level? The very fact that the symbiotic relationship between canid and homo sapiens has got to be just about one of the most important factors in the creation of Modern Man surely demonstrates the extraordinarily close relationship that they have with each other? There are some schools of thought that think this relationship between wolf and man could have first begun as long ago as 100,000 years, others that the relationship is 40,000 years, and yet more who think it is considerably less. Whichever school is correct, this relationship was forged on more than just mutual benefit ... the man getting a sentinel cum hunting aid, and the wolf getting "free" food ... there must have been a far greater and deeper level of communication and understanding between the two species, and of course there was ... telepathy, body language interpretation, a meeting of similar minds, call it what you will.

I honestly do think that Cesar has at the very least a good basic knowledge of "dog speak", for want of a better phrase. If I were asked to put my neck on the line, I would say he is pretty fluent, with a few odd slips along the way. The guy's not perfect, I don't believe he is as good as Shaun Ellis, but he's pretty good. He has made mistakes ... who hasn't?

I shall doubtless be shot down in flames for saying such a thing, but there we are, that is my belief, to which I am entitled.
I wouldn't shoot you down and of course you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree that the kind of treatment CM dishes out is anything to do with what you describe above. I'm not convinced that 'pack mentality' should involve the kind of bullying I've seen and as we are not dogs - and dogs realise this - I believe that his behaviour must leave them feeling bewildered. Aren't we supposed to know better? They may well eventually submit to him but not for the right reasons and possibly with a damaged relationship - I'd rather not risk my relationship with my dog by treating him as CM has in the clips that I've seen.

I worry if such a famous celebrity dog trainer makes mistakes that have the potential to severely damage a dog mentally. It's not as though he's just not responded quickly enough and ended up rewarding unwanted behaviour - he's actually punishing the dogs and given this, I do not feel there is any room for mistakes. His ego = a dog suffers.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 06:20 AM
You had better let the Smythsonian Institute know that they are wrong then !! In the late 90's they reclassified Canis Familiaris as Canis Lupus Familiaris (or something along those lines,....
But don't forget that most scientists who research dogs still seem to be using "Canis familiaris" .... I can say this because much of my study at the moment involves looking at research journals involving dogs including recently published ones.

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry I will never accept that CM know's anything about dogs other than how to force them to do what he wants. He harps on about the 'bite' which he use's, a sort of finger jab, and claims that this is how dogs gain each others attention. Well I have to say that that is the biggest pile of brown steamy stuff I have ever heard. My dogs do not bite each other to gain anothers attention. They don't even bite each other when one is being annoying to the other. They use a comprehensive range of subtle and not so subtle body language to communicate their intentions and biting is really a final resort.
Becky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy View Post
Have some of the people commenting on this topic even watched 'The Dog Whisperer'? He is a calm, gentle dog lover who clearly understands how dogs think & interact. His pack of dogs clearly adore & respect him & the dogs he helps on his show end up happier & balanced, whats wrong with that? 'Lottie' made several comments which seemed to only be the same as what Cesar preaches so why are is methods 'claptrap'? My dog is 9yrs old now & I have put up with his problems for years, since I discovered the Dog Whisperer a couple of years ago, Cesars methods have made a massive difference to our lives.
Sorry! Have just seen my name mentioned and looked up what I said! (Sooo long ago and I tend to keep out once threads get this long!)

I should make it more clear. I purposely brought up those things because Cesar does them.

However, the 'claptrap' is as to why. As I said, I don't want to get knocked flying as I open the door or for my dogs to escape if I open the door to someone else and don't want the dogs outside. Therefore, they are taught to wait til I say they can go out. Not because it will teach them I am pack leader.

I expect them to wait for the words 'paid for' when being fed because it saves them getting their head covered in kibble and tends to help them learn not to pinch from the floor if I drop something. Not because it will teach them I am pack leader. And I would not dream of forcing them to wait until after I've finished eating before they get any as my meal times are so erratic!

I do some of the things Cesar advocates but for very different reasons and there are a heck of a lot of things I will not do that Cesar advocates and recommends.

I would never:
'finger pinch', 'alpha roll', force a dog into submission, force a dog to be sniffed, kick a dog, yank a dog on a choke or pinch collar, flood a dog with it's worst fears whilst getting it to run on a treadmill wearing a choke chain (that dog died)... the list goes on.

I also teach many of the things I do that Cesar does (such as not taking food, not rushing out of the doorway etc.) using clickers and teach everything with positive reinforcement.

My dogs do not fear what will happen to them if they disobey (well ok, VERY occasionally the water spray came out - yesterday it came out for the first time in at least a year and I never squirted it - that is as far as I go on avoidance). As a result, they trust me enough to try something even if they're not sure they'll get it right - because let's face it, 'what's the worst that could happen?'

Don't get me wrong, everything has a consequence. And I will employ, to some degree, negative punishment (ie. the removal of something desirable in response to an unwanted behaviour) but do not engage in positive punishment or negative reinforcement as there is simply no need in risking my relationship with my dogs. Especially as one of them works as an assistance dog for me - she has to be able to trust me.

So yes - my point was I will do some of the basics that Cesar advocates, but in a very different way and for a very different reason and I don't worry constantly that my dogs are becoming dominant and wanting to take over the world!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
All the rehabilitated dogs I`ve met have the same story - it took time, patience, consistency, understanding and love. I have never met a rehabilitated dog who has become so with confrontational methods.
I have met totally stressed and jumpy dogs being dragged round on-lead who have been `tamed` by confrontational methods, but I don`t accept that the method has changed the dogs` behaviour, just suppressed it.
I have ... mine !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I agree completely it should never replace a walk outside, but I also know an awful lot of Americans do not walk their dogs for various reasons. A great deal of them seem to think having access to the yard is sufficient, so I do see where he's coming from on that one too. Lots of people do seem to claim they don't have the time to walk etc. which should beg the question why get a blimin dog in the first place, but I've never heard that said. I think he tries to do the best for the dogs in those circumstances, because those owners are simply not meeting their dogs needs on any level. Shoot the damn owners, I say.
Well said Trouble ... an excellent post. I know several Americans, and what you say about their back yards is very true.

I totally agree as well with your "shoot the owners" statement !
Page 115 of 125 « First < 15 65 105 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 > Last »