View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Wtf! is going on here? I feel like I've just walked into a bloody playground.

Gnasher clearly thinks the ecollar is the best thing since the Origin of Species. Sadly, no amount of education and certainly no amount of insulting is going to change that. She and her OH will learn the hard way at Ben's expence.

Some can learn from the mistakes of others, some only from their own.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Gnasher you are right I do not know you or your dogs, I can only go on what you are posting. And what you are posting tells me you have no understanding whatsover. As for Zapping your dog only twice, in my mind that is twice too many. And I do take offence at being told I have little or no idea about ADHD. I do not wish to talk to you about it, is that clear enough for you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Hi Tazer: I hope you are not right, but I am the first one to say you may be. Only time will tell. So far, it is going brilliantly. I don't think the e collar is the best thing since the Origin of Species, but it has been a revolution for us. Only we can say what Ben was like before, and what he is like now. His recall is stunning compared to what it was, and the dog is completely unfazed by it all. Which is all that matters.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Heather: I am sure you don't want to talk about ADHD, but it was YOU who said:

"Gnasher I have 2 family members with ADHD, so I know all about it. But never ever have they come up with rubbish you spout about it making you have an affinity with dogs. They will crease up laughing when I show them this thread. Nobody is making fun of someone with ADHD, but I think we are all laughing at what a joke you really are."

NO-ONE who lives with sufferers of ADHD, or indeed the sufferers themselves, would "laugh" or "crease up with laughing" about anything to do with ADHD.

That is how I knew you were exaggerating.

I have lived with ADHD for 24 years, I have worked for our local CAMHS and dealt with children on a daily basis with ADHD, I went through 5 SEN Tribunals to get my daughter the education she needed, and frankly there is little I don't know about ADHD.

Which is how I knew you were talking a load of tosh.

However, I know exactly where you are coming from, and we will not talk about ADHD any more.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Gnasher how dare you say I was exaggerating, just because I don't wish to talk about it anymore. I have lived with it for 37 years with my son and now my grandaughter not that it is any of your business. Just because they have ADHD doesn't stop them having a sense of humour and the ability to laugh. And it was YOU that brought up ADHD. The only person talking a load of tosh here is YOU. End of.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Gnasher, for once I hope I'm wrong, but I've got this nagging feeling I won't be.

Ben is clearly a bright dog. If you or your OH use the shock setting again, I wonder how long it will be before Ben realises its you. Now, I know you don't like working in ifs but, humour me here for a sec will you?

If he comes to associate the shock with you, how do you propose to fix a problem caused by the very device you've come to rely on?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Did you ever think of giving your daughter electric shocks when she played up?

Or did you try and understand why she was doing it and find ways of teaching her self control?

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Gnasher sorry you didnt get to answer my question in the original thread it moved so fast so please forgive me for asking it again here. But what would you or your OH have done if a e collar was not available?
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm another person who has a family member with ADHD, and I have no idea why you brought up your daughter's ADHD in this thread. You are shameless in your attention seeking, then play the poor me card.

What I find really sad is how many times you have moaned about your daughter in other threads, and yet, when it suits you bring up the subject, during an e collar debate. You referred to some people with the condition as "head bangers". What a delightful person you are.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 09:52 AM
No need to go getting your knickers is a twist, I was only saying that MY wolf crosses did/do not wag their tails.
Really?
Ben: no, I wouldn't, this is wolf crosses for you.
but often wolf crosses don't wag their tails, it's a wolf thing.
Again with the whole "wolf crosses are different" thing.

Btw
Ben of course has a double coat, with a very dense undercoat, so it is difficult to get contact with his skin at all.
You NEED skin contact for it to work - hair/fur is dead cells. The instructions say so as you've posted yourself
with a heavy coated dog you need to make absolutely sure that the contacts are touching the skin - no skin contact, no working collar
So the thickness of the coat makes no difference - the shock still goes through the skin, like it goes through your skin. If it was simply a static charge jumping from A to B and the points weren't touching the skin then it wouldn't hurt the dog so it wouldn't work. The only difference is, as Ben explained, if the connection is "muffled" by the coat then static charge has to build up to a greater amount to make the "hop" across. The difference is, you're using this on your dog's neck, not its arm, and the neck is a much more sensitive area. Just look at the videos of people using the collars on their neck, it is more than just a mild "punch" as you put it.
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 47 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »