View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 01:39 PM
the X ray Im not too concerned with- incase it came across wrong-its the camera insertion I dont want to do until absolutely necessary
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Hi Lel no experience of this particular thing but as a general rule warmth and massage can help, they increase the circulation and blood flow to the area. So it might be worth a try when you are nursing Libs to apply a little warmth ( I like 'wheat packs' instead of hotties you heat them in the microwave , they are smaller and mould to the shape better too.. from big branch of Boots ). Then give a little gentle massage to the area, can't do any harm
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Sounds as if it may be Pano. to me. Look up panosteitis in a text book or on the net and see if that seems to be what it is. Have had several hounds and dogs suffer with it.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi Jackie
have read a little about panosteitis but I thought it was usually prevalent in larger breeds ? Also Im sure I read somewhere that the limp will change from leg to leg if it is due to that ? Libbys is always the same leg......
Will sort out the x ray for this week I think- just to make sure

Mini
I have some links on canine massage so will have a go at that
Someone else has also mentioned going to see a greyhound chiropractor - how would I find one ?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Lel, it does not always change legs and it is more the speed of bone growth that causes it rather than the finished size, my breed weighs between 18 and 25 kg and they are prone to the problem.

Would not attempt massage before you have a diagnosis as you could do damage, unless of course you have training. My youngest has just recovered for a bad limp on one front leg, vet thought it may be OCD and x-rayed but the pictures were clear and he had a 3 week course of anti inflammatory drugs after he had been lame for about a month and it started to improve and has now gone, took in all about 3 months.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your help Jackie
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Pups always seem to manage to do something to themselves in the first 18 months to worry you silly. Soft tissue injuries are difficult to find and only time will heal but it does take a long while. If the x-rays were clear I would give it 3 months before going for anything invasive.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2004, 09:43 PM
it is common with large breeds but can happen to any breed.
pano is basically growing pains and toby has had it a few times while growing an x ray won't show any thing up.as it is not bone related such as a break etc.
he was just given tablets to help came it down and with in a few days he was normal.
it can affect different joints but his allways stayed to the same 1 at any given time.
if it is regular then they might think it is hd etc but if its spells in between its just pain killers and rest.
its down to the rate of growth in the joint but theres not alot you can give for it.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi Leo
what age did it first show up ? And how long did it last for?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2004, 11:17 PM
his first time was about 5 months but on and off till he was over a year.
it could last a few days to a few weeks depending on how quick the tablets kicked in.
the way he limped is as if he had a weak ankle but when you pressed down his leg no responce to it.
the vet should be able to move the limb (normal range) without pain.
the first time we thought it was a leg injury landed wrong etc and his weight on young bones etc,but our vet checked him over then just gave him anti inflammation tablets to help it calm down.
if the pain killers didn't work then it was a x ray job but he was fine.
if i was you i would ask the vet for some pain killers first before you start with x ray etc.
the other times he had it they just checked him and gave him the same drugs he was fine in a few days.
im exepting it with holly at some stage but you never really know if they have done damage but i wouldn't just do the x ray from the start.
when toby was in to be scored his elbows was graded 0 which is perfect unyet it was always his front ones he limped with.
if it is the back they automatically think hd but its down to growth patterns .
as leo's grow fast and gain weight at the rate of 2/3 kg a week its a lot for the bones to keep up with. at his peak he grew 2" every 4 weeks so it has a big effect on them.
as far as i know it does go itself in time but with drugs he was walking normal in 48 hours.
it sounds like pano if she hasn't had any kind of injury and its on / off as it comes out of the blue.
hth
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >