Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Makenzie
New Member!
Female 

30-05-2007, 08:53 PM

Crystals in urine in 8yr old boxer

My 8 year old boxer had an increase level of crystals in her urine sample and the vet is going to re-test her urine in a month to see if the level is still moderate. He thinks that she may have bladder stones. I have done some reading on Bearberry for bladder stones. Where do you get this? How much do you give them? Is it fine even if they are not present? Thank you for your help!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry to hear your boxer is poorly mckensie hugs to the poor baby xxx
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Crystals in the urine can relate to a kidney problem, my Shar pei showed crystals in her urine from a very early age.
Hope all goes well thoughts are with you both
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:08 AM
You can get it in health food stores or at a medical herbalist such as Neal's Yard. It is normally as a tincture. I would see how many drops it says for humans and reduce it proportionally according to the weight of your dog. If you get it from a herbalist she will be able to advise you.

I think the idea with urinary crystals is to keep the urine PH at a certain level so that the crystals dissolve. My cat had struvite crystals in his urine and the vet prescribed him Royal Canin cat food. Simply by taking this food the crystals dissolved and he eats this food all the time now with no further probs. I'm sure there will be a comparative product for dogs. Ask your vet. My vet blames a dry food diet for these crystals and advises lots of fluids to keep the urine moving. However your dog may have another kind of crystal.

So try and get your dog to drink more and ease off on the dry food if that is what you feed him.

Hope this helps.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi, The main thing you must do to help is as stated earlier ..try and keep the Ph levels to about 7 (slightly alkaline). If you are so inclined there are some good natural recipes that you can make yourself to help for example;

Dietary Management for Struvite crystals

Beef and Rice Diet

1/2 pound very lean beef (raw or lightly cooked)
1 egg, large hard boiled
2 cups brown rice, long grained, cooked
1 tablespoon nutritional or brewers yeast (available at health food stores)
1 teaspoon bone meal
1 teaspoon Herbal multivitamin
1 teaspoon Flax Oil

Supports the caloric needs of a 30 pound dog - 40.7 grams protein, 22 grams fat - about 800 calories

Taken from; http://www.naturalcanine.com/html/recipes_1.html (may be worth a look at the site).

Let us know how you get on. XX
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Would that be the dog's intake per day or per meal?