Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Double Glazing Dilemma

I know we've got a few people on here that have turned their homes into palaces, and I'm wondering whether some of you can give us a bit of advice.

We are needing to get our windows replaced but there are so many of them that we are going to do it in stages. The front of the house consists of a window downstairs which is the study, this also has a full length, half width window to the side. The second bedroom on the top floor is exactly the same. Then there is the master bedroom and the 3rd bedroom that face the front. Therefore we thought we would do those as the first stage, the windows are thin wooden double galzing but are about 20 years old and you get a breeze coming through the study windows when you are working in there, hence us wanting to get that one done quickly.

Now our dilemma is that the other two houses in the cul-de-sac are exactly the same as ours, (this is ours although we have already taken out most of the front garden and replaced with block paving to make additional parking):

both have been double glazed, one with mahogany coloured windows and one with dark oak upvc, but we want something different.

Ideally I would eventually like our porch altered

to have the door in the middle and then coloured glass panels either side, so we need to bear this in mind when choosing the windows. We had dark brown upvc at Clives last house and they do fade after a number of years, and both of us fancy something a bit different, we both like the white georgian style and we would have the garage doors replaced with white ones too.

I'm now wondering, bearing in mind the porch that I would really love, whether we would be better off getting plain white windows with a leaded light pattern on the top which would eventually match the porch. If we did that then the windows and doors at the sides of the house could be plain white, which would probably be a lot cheaper than the georgian, thereby allowing us to spend more on the porch and getting a really classy one done.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Check it out with the local council first in case there are any restrictions on changing the colour
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Check it out with the local council first in case there are any restrictions on changing the colour
Do you live in a Conservation Area Sheree?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Thanks for that, yes we checked with them, just in case, and they don't have a problem with it

There are some other houses further around the estate that have changed the windows..most have stuck with the brown but some have got the georgian, others have the white with leaded light squares, so quite an assortment. We haven't seen any though with the coloured lights which would be nice and possibly help us decide.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Do you live in a Conservation Area Sheree?
No Dyane, these houses are about 20 years old and are on the very last part of the village..a short way past us are a few large houses that were built by the owners so they are all various shapes with different windows so I don't think anyone would be up in arms if we were to do something very different. It is a nice area though so we want to keep it tasteful.

I checked with the council a month or so ago about the window colours whilst I was checking about a boundary, and they said they don't have any rules about us changing them. Clive tells me that we have to get planning permission before we can do anything but I think I will double check with them, showing them what we have decided on, before we order anything as we don't want to make a costly mistake.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Whatever you do with the council Sheree, make sure there's a paper trail, that's all I can say!

I'd want to change that porch too Sheree, and yours is a good idea. I don't like people being able to look through all that glass, you can't hide anywhere!! Also, it's a security risk, all that glass at the side like that isn't it, easily broken.

If it were mine, I would probably want to brick it either side of the front door too, for more privacy, and again for security.

Sometimes those dark wooden windows can look nice, and sometimes they can be oppressive, so only you know by standing outside and looking at your house which would suit it best and the surrounding properties? Good luck, you'll be nice and warm with the new ones in by the sound of it
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I really dislike dark window frames and think they do tend to look oppressive. I have white Georgian style windows put in about 10 years ago and continued the theme when the conservatory was built but white frames can get really dirty and take a lot of upkeep tbh. and my area is quite quiet, no traffic fumes etc, just airborne and rain borne dirt. If I was replacing them today I'd be inclined to go for a light oak effect, neither oppressive or prone to dingyness. I like things simple so would go for a milky glass effect either side of the front door rather than plain or coloured. If you wanted a pattern then an etched effect would be very effective. I'd also get the whole house done in one go, more chance of getting the price down in my opinion. I also replaced one of the windows with a cantilever bay which added a bit of character to an otherwise boring facade. I'd visit one of the big showrooms and see whats available before commiting and drive around and see what you like on other houses, ask the sales people for ideas, you don't have to take them onboard.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Sheree,
just with my sensible head on, please do get windows with side opening too, just in case of fire, its another way out .
Will you be putting the windows in yourself or will you have a firm come in?
If you're having a firm, they usually have a brochure showing styles for you to ponder - and if doing yourself, then its a wander round the DIY stores to see what's available. No point setting your heart on style A if only B is an option for the apertures.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the great tips, I'm certainly thinking a lot clearer now...unfortunately we can't afford to have it all done at once as there are 14 windows, some huge, 3 normal doors and one set of patio doors, thats without the porch. We need to get those done in the study though as we know we are losing valuable heat through there

We will be having Clives friend install them Pat, he is a carpenter and did our laminated floor and ramp to the garage at the old house, he is brilliant and we know he will do a great job at a reasonable price Clive is over the top safety conscious so I know we will get whatever we need to ensure we can escape if there was a fire or similar...I just think about the designs and let him sort out the boring stuff
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Another thing to remember is, if you're going ahead with ALL the windows eventually, then of course, you can change them, BUT, if you know you won't be replacing all of them, then different windows here and there are going to look awful, so you have to think ahead too! Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >