Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:23 PM
hi
the drug that is used for the 'morning after' is not just a morning after,it can be used for longer than that...2 injections 24 hours apart and to me the quote from your vet sounds about right to me....

eta you can spay her in about 3 months time.....hows about getting your male castrated or having the implant in the mean time??
beccaemily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I think you are an incredibly irresponsible owner for letting it happen in the first place, to be honest. This sort of thing really annoys me and makes me very angry as there are enough dogs in rescue because of situations just like this.

If you cannot keep your dogs apart completely when your bitch is in season, then you should have her spayed. I would also hope you would have your male castrated as well as you don't sound the type of owner who is responsible enough to own an entire male (or an unspayed bitch).

You can't say "it just happened" - do you realise how stupid this sounds? Of course it did, your bitch is in season and was WITH en entire male - it is not rocket science! It shouldn't sound funny as it's not funny at all.

As for Skye being "too immature" and "too bouncy" to have puppies. There isn't only that to be concerned about when breeding anyway, there are many health tests to consider as well before even contemplating breeding any dog.

Forget looking for information about the anti-pregnancy injection, get your bitch to the vet pronto, before it's too late.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, it's how I feel and I feel this is an incredible act of stupidity and lack of basic common sense.

Ok calm down, I am NOT being irresponsible and I did NOT allow it to happen hence keeping them apart in the first place, I am sorry that I do not have 2 seperate gardens to keep two rotties in to allow them to relieve themselves.

My dog did not used to live where she is at the moment as me and my partner had our own home but due to reasons we had to move back to his mother's who has a rottie.
She is my ONLY dog so I have not yet had her spayed as there was no need to spend approx £150 on something for a 18month rottie when I was not planning on even letting her near another male. Unfortunatly our situation changed.

If you would of read my post clearly I am not asking people about re-homing puppies. I am asking about the injection to prevent her from having puppies.

I understand your voicing your opinion but I am not asking for a opinion about re-homing, I am simply asking what is best to do by my dog.

Anyways, I will email Shona as she has helped me with advise before with Skye. Thanks for your helpful comments. If you have anymore information about the injection please let me know.
beccaemily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Tupacs2legs - I am definatly getting her spayed.

I was told it was 3months after season they can be spayed, and thats around £90-£150 at the vets.

I cannot do anything about the male as he is not my dog.

Thanks for the advise! : )
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Sorry, but this act was irresponsible. I don't care what you say.

I know what you're asking about, hence why I said forget asking about it and get your bitch to the vet ASAP. Why didn't you take her today? Or, at least, phone your vet this morning?

You never intend to let another male near her? What, not at all? Not even when you're walking her or training her? I think not. Even more so that you're not currently living with an entire male.

The £150 for spaying it nothing compared to the overall cost of owning a dog and the possibilty of what has just happened to her, and very possibly happening again as you are being very flippant about it this time.

Plenty of people who have entire dogs and bitches don't have two seperate gardens for their dogs, but you could've let one out at a different time from the other, making sure one was secure before letting the other out. Again, not rocket science.

For your dog's sake, I would seriously consider having her spayed in 3 months time, not "end up getting her spayed", god knows when as what has happened now is very likely to happen again.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Sorry, but this act was irresponsible. I don't care what you say.

I know what you're asking about, hence why I said forget asking about it and get your bitch to the vet ASAP. Why didn't you take her today? Or, at least, phone your vet this morning?

You never intend to let another male near her? What, not at all? Not even when you're walking her or training her? I think not. Even more so that you're not currently living with an entire male.

The £150 for spaying it nothing compared to the overall cost of owning a dog and the possibilty of what has just happened to her, and very possibly happening again as you are being very flippant about it this time.

Plenty of people who have entire dogs and bitches don't have two seperate gardens for their dogs, but you could've let one out at a different time from the other, making sure one was secure before letting the other out. Again, not rocket science.

For your dog's sake, I would seriously consider having her spayed in 3 months time, not "end up getting her spayed", god knows when as what has happened now is very likely to happen again.
My God give them a break. They have come on here to ask for advice and get a bloody lecture. They have already said they don't intend to breed her and that at the moment they have have to move back in with family so the two dogs were not planned to be with eachother.
You have already aired your view and yet feel the need to go on and on.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:49 PM
"My God give them a break. They have come on here to ask for advice and get a bloody lecture. They have already said they don't intend to breed her and that at the moment they have have to move back in with family so the two dogs were not planned to be with eachother.
You have already aired your view and yet feel the need to go on and on."

As expected.

Doesn't alter my feelings.
beccaemily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Westie_N -

I did in fact call my vet this morning and I asked about the injection. And I work so I could not take her in today, not only that but my vet advised it is best not to give her the injection now and to wait 2 weeks, as the male will loose interest and she will not be at risk at it happening again. So I don't pay for the injection then her get pregnant anyway.

This morning I actually booked the appointment for the jab for the 3rd. As I previously mentioned.

I do not have a problem in paying £150 in spaying her. But being only 18months old and living as the only dog in her home I did not feel it necessary so early in her life - I have now learnt from this.

And as far as walking her I do not allow her near other dogs without her lead on, as I mentioned she is a bouncy rottie who can be over powering - I do not want her getting bitten by another dog for her being bouncy so I control her on the lead.

I appreciate your concerned about the puppies that are not even going to be, however I am being responsible and dealing with the incident.

I did not ask the dogs to tie so do not talk down to me as if I asked them to.

I do not appreciate being called irresponsible by someone that does not even know me or what I do for my dog. As I did the responsible thing this morning by calling the vet.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2010, 05:59 PM
No, I'm well aware there aren't going to be any puppies (this time) if you are taking her for the injection and then having her spayed.

My main concern is the "oops" mating happening again at her next season, if she's not spayed beforehand.

I'm well aware you didn't "ask" them to mate, that doesn't take much working out. It's nature. An entire dog and an in season bitch being together were highly likely to mate. it should've been expected. Surely you know that much?

Are your dogs separated just now?
beccaemily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:11 PM
They were seperated in the first place.

My dog is not any concern of yours all I did was ask for advise, if you are going to talk down to me and try making me feel like a rubbish owner your not helping me with some HELPFUL advice now are you.

And on seeing your not so experienced background with rottweilers I do not feel your in a position to even give me advise.

Enough is enough, go spread your "advise" somewhere else.

Thanks.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2010, 06:23 PM
"My God give them a break. They have come on here to ask for advice and get a bloody lecture. They have already said they don't intend to breed her and that at the moment they have have to move back in with family so the two dogs were not planned to be with eachother.
You have already aired your view and yet feel the need to go on and on."

As expected.

Doesn't alter my feelings.
Why is it as expected ? You don't need to alter your feelings they are yours just sometimes its better to keep them under control rather go on and on and on and on
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >