Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:10 PM

New puppy dominating older dog

Hi,

To sut a long stry short, I have just got a little 11 week old JRT to be a friedn with Ernie, my JRT, but they seem to be anything but!

I have only had the new one back home about on hour, and he seems to be ominating Ernie. Will push him out of the way to get a drink. There has been a fair about of fighting with te little one growling and stuff at Ernie, but Ernie seems to be holding his own, if looking a bit nervous, as it what I am I suppose to do?

I got the new one beucase I wanted Ernie to have a friend and companion and it all seems to be going wrong. I don't want Ernie to be unhappy becuase of the new one.

I have just spoken to soemone and they said it is normal but I don't want a new dog coming in here and bulying my poor little Ernie.

Help, waht do oyu guys think?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Give it time Nade

Let them sort themselves out and do not intervene if there is a bit of pushing & shoving and swearing. Step in only if things start to look serious.

I don't recall Ernie's age but many adult male dogs find puppies rather alarming
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:20 PM
It is perfectly normal

In the "nest" the mum will tolerate a lot from the puppies & in the wild adults are extremely tolerant allowing them to chew, bite, dive on etc that if an adult was to try they would be swiftly put down. It's part of the puppy behaviour & learning. Our GSD is very good with puppies but my male late BC's used to run a mile until the puppies were around 6 months old & had learnt not to nip etc

This is where a crate comes in useful to give you & Ernie some "time out" from the lil one

Dogs do not set out to "dominate"as puppies & a truly dominant dog rarely has to do anything to dominate the others
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
THanks guys, I am in Tears here, I did this for many reasons but I DO not want to make Ernie unhappy, but happiers!

Ernie has put up with a lot for this little one and has just, this minute, short and sharply to 'back off' which I am glad he did. The puppy seemed to take notice.

I will put the little un in the crate in a minute, just for five minutes and he will go in this crate tonight. Ernie is now out of the crate so hopefully that will help with showing Ernie is boss.

Ernie is 7 minths BTW and this little one is 11 weeks.

I love Ernie so much I want him to be happy and would never have got the new one if I thought it would make him less happy.

Please keep telling me it will be OK. I would hate to have to take him back butwill do if it means that by having him Ernie is anything less than Happier than he was before.

I am calling the new one Burt BTW.
Meg
Supervisor

11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Nade first try to keep calm and not get upset or you will upset Earnie and the puppy. As the others say try not to intervene if you can, stand back and give them some space to get to know each other...
Ps did you read the replies to your post the other day ?
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=24961
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:51 PM
I had the same problems when I brought Lennon home - he was almost 6 months, and my 9 year old hated him on sight. I backed off and let them sort it out themselves. Lennon dominated to start, being the younger upstart, but gradually they have evened themselves out. Stick with it, it takes time. Len is now 14 mnths and they are fine together. Good luck
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Don't forget your new one is in a strange place, with strange people/animals/things, and doesn't know the rules!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Like everyone said just let them find their feet, eventually they'll get on like a house on fire.

Burt and Ernie....... YEAHY SOOOO CUTE!!!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi Nade you might know that we got a little JRT pup recently to be friends with my Archie, who is almost 11 months old.

Ziggy, the new pup, will clearly dominate Archie as soon as he is old enough. At the beginning I was really upset, because if Archie has a toy Ziggy will go and steal it off him and Archie just lets him do whatever he wants! He even tries to nick Archie's dinner and biscuits and Archie does NOTHING, he just lets him.

We have been teaching the pup that he's not allowed to walk all over Archie, by not letting him at his dinner and not letting him get too annoying with Archie... but you know what, it's me that minds, Archie LOOOOVES the pup and they curl up together and play loads, so I try not to interfere too much. I have decided that as important as Archie is to me he clearly is not interested in being 'top dog' and eventually the pup will be.

Good luck
Meg
Supervisor

11-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Tuti I was just going through you posts looking for Archie and Ziggy to show Nade

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >