View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Pity we are not closer to her..............I can think of two Skye and Bruce.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
i would of said jrts or parson terriers as my lot would run for britan they love it and are sturdy doglets.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I think rescue
If she is looking for a dog to run with her NOW then it would have to be an adult dog. a brand new puppy wouldnt be able to run with her for at least a year
and with a fully grown dog you would know about prey drive and stuff

I would totaly say no to a collie if she works all day and just wants a dog for running - a super fit collie without mind exercise is going to be a nightmare!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
She needs a Fudgey dog! loves running with OH but is not bouncing off the walls if she doesn't get a mega run everyday. Not sure about the full-time work though. I guess having someone to walk them is ok, but I would think most dogs require more stimulatiuon in a day than that.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
It's a shame she only wants a smaller dog...

Max would jog/run for England! He can easily do 10 miles and not be puffed (shame about his owners!!)

I think an older dog would be the best bet, as a puppy can't go running.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I would not recommend one, however my Sal (sbt) goes for runs with my brother and can easily cover 20 miles over rough terrain. As my brother does those "iron man things" run, cycle, swim sort of things....would not think we were related. But the point being he takes Sal who is not his...does the lady in question now anyone whose dog she could loan.........?

If not an adult rescue....may be the answer. A mongrel can run just as well.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
When out and about I must say the majority of dogs I see running (not jogging) with their owners are border terriers/jack russells/collies (all sorts) and one or two dalmations..but these are normaly with horses I have to say and the speed/ground they cover is awe inspiring....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks all, I'll pass on your advice and see what happens.
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I think most small dogs that 1) have legs and 2) have a snout would be okay for jogging presuming that the owner built them up slowly to a jogging pace and slowly built up distance.

As for border terrier prey drive - My Mac is more interested in peeing on stuff than chasing stuff off lead. However, my Clover is inclined to chase birds if they fly low enough, and she is only allowed off lead in enclosed areas. Luck of the draw, I think, but also training reliable recalls.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I think my suggestion would definitely hinge on just how big a part of the owner's life the dog was going to be. Obviously as she works full-time, then provision will have to be made for the dog to be exercised during the day, as well as commitment from the owner to walk/train/play with the dog before and after work, as well as at weekends etc. Having worked full-time myself and kept fit and active, healthy and happy dogs, I know it is achievable. I also know that the rest of your life has to take a back seat and there is no such thing as a social life

If she is prepared to do this then ...

Obviously, border collies make great fell-running dogs, and many fell runners, hikers, mountaineers, climbers etc have border collies. They are athletic, fit and trainable. There are also a great many adult dogs in rescue that would love a new home with a committed fell runner.

If collies are too large or not suitable, then how about a working cocker spaniel? These are fit and busy little dogs that are also trainable and would be less likely to be interested in any sheep that may be encountered on the fells - although training will have to be undertaken of course.

A good crossbreed might be a lab x collie or retriever x collie. There are LOADS of these types of dogs in rescue homes.

I wouldn't really suggest a terrier, as it is quite likely to have a strong prey drive and be off hunting bunnies or foxes if off lead in the fells.

Let us know what she decides
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3