Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
They`re Bitza`s round our way. They used to be Heinz dogs (Heinz 57 varieties) but that`s not used much now.
I like that - Bitza's sounds cute.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Havre you done research on this because I know 100's of people with crossbreeds through forums and all of them insure their dogs.
I dont know what your trying to get at with that post, coz that is exactly what point I was trying to make... That many owners of crossbreeds do insure their dogs... You made out that I said the opposite.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I saw a litter of 'Stingers' advertised the other day... any guesses anyone?

Springer Spaniel x SBT
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Finally managed to catch up on this thread...

Tbh, I find it sad that people say owners of crossbreeds are less likely to insurance their dog, than if they had a pedigree. I have a crossbreed and wouldnt dream of not insuring him! Same with my old dog, sam, who was also a crossbreed. Jake means just as much to me, if not more, than any pedigree would so I would never not insure him. Maybe some crossbreed owners dont, but (unless they keep money aside for any vets bills ect) then they shouldnt own any dog coz if anything happens, and they cant afford it then its the dog who suffers.

As for health, my old crossbreed was only ever at the vets for his boosters for the whole 9 years we had him, apart from the day before he died when we took him and were told he has cancer. Jake has been a lot, mainly for allergies but also for accidents coz he is clumsy etc. So he has racked up vets bills, but a lot of them are for things not to do with breeding.
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I dont know what your trying to get at with that post, coz that is exactly what point I was trying to make... That many owners of crossbreeds do insure their dogs... You made out that I said the opposite.
I apologise, I mis read it sorry!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
I apologise, I mis read it sorry!
Aw ok
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by Avani View Post
I saw a litter of 'Stingers' advertised the other day... any guesses anyone?

Springer Spaniel x SBT
This just makes me hang my head in despair!! What benefit is to be gained from deliberately crossing these two breeds! I bet they're going for a good price too.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Yes - £250 for this well thought-out coupling
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:01 AM
...and so, once again the old topic of so called designer dog raises its head on dogsey.

One thing I have noticed from reading all of these threads when they are started is that an awful lot of the comments against deliberate cross breedings state that it is the 'silly name' or the price that makes them so angry, and that people are stupid for forking out what is not a proper recognised breed or a pedigree.

There also tends to be a suggestion that they are bought because really people dont know what they are buying or how to look after them.

The quotes below are just an example -

Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
There is no reason at all behind the latest influx other than silly names and silly prices.

I'm curious as to why people are so keen to buy dogs of this type and in particular first time dog owners seem to be ultra keen to grab themselves a 'designer' dog.

I have 2 friends with 'poos' and I have spoken to both of them at length about puppy farms, the dangers of breeding 2 unknown dogs, the huge amount of grooming needed to care properly for these dogs etc.

Both people have said they wouldn't buy another. They would go to rescue. Both were unaware of so many issues and were not told by either breeder about how high maintenance their dog would be.
As a proud and loving owner to a beautiful cockerpoo pup I would just like to say that I deliberately set out to find a breeder of these when my dog died, having seen one a couple of years ago.

Why do some people want only GSD's, or Boxers or Rottiie's? Non of these dogs would be number 1 on my 'dog to get' list, although they are great dogs. A lot of this is personal preference and there is no right or wrong in it.

I could quite easily have gone to the local rescue - there is one just up the road from me - but I chose not to. I have had rescue dogs before, but this time I decided to do this.

My last dog, a rescue dog, cost me £45 to buy, Bobby has cost me considerably more, but already he as shown himself to have a beautiful temperament and I am seriously considering getting him a brother to play with next year - from the same breeder.

I know about puppy farms and how horrible they are and they should all be shut down in my opinion. However, a lot of puppy farm businesses breed pedigree dogs in large numbers, so to link them to people having 'poos as if they are the sole reason for their existence is disingenuous in my opinion.

I don't know how the people mentioned in the post above bought their poos, but surely the same safeguards when buying a pup from a breeder should apply, regardless of whether you consider the dog a proper pedigree or a so called 'designer' dog. I researched as much as I could about this 'breed', as I would have done if I was going to buy a poodle or anything else.

I have read lots of threads on here and elsewhere about people either breeding pedigrees dogs who have not done the proper checks, or people who have bought a pedigree and the breeders haven't done health checks, buyers haven't seen the parents etc.

Surely people have to have a bit of commonsense and take responsibility for what they are deciding, and that goes for whatever type of dog you are getting.?

My pup is nearly 5 months, I groom him once a week. Will this change as he gets older - probably. Will he need to go to the pooch parlour regularly, - yes but do Samoyeds groom themselves? GSD's never moult and need a groom, could a long haired rescue dog with unknown parentage not grow into a so called high maintainence dog?

Believe it or not, it is possible for normal sensible people to make an informed decision to go and get a cockerpoo/labradoodle or whatever, help it grow into a beautiful loving dog and look after it properly.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
The point is that a cockerpoo is NOT a breed, it is a cross breed nothing more nothing less. Giving it a 'breed name' implies it is something else.
Can I ask you why a cockerpoo then. What is it about these crosses you wanted? Why was neither a cocker or a poodle acceptable to you. When you mate two breeds together there is no gaurantee what you are going to get. You might think you will get a dog that looks how you expect it too look but they don't all turn out like that. With all due respect you cannot research the 'breed' because they aren't one, there is no standardisation nor predictability of specific traits that you would get with a pure bred. Anything said by breeders is guess work because when you cross two different breeds you cannot predict the outcome.
What is it about these crosses that you thought would make it ideal for you?
Becky
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by montysmum View Post
...and so, once again the old topic of so called designer dog raises its head on dogsey.

One thing I have noticed from reading all of these threads when they are started is that an awful lot of the comments against deliberate cross breedings state that it is the 'silly name' or the price that makes them so angry, and that people are stupid for forking out what is not a proper recognised breed or a pedigree.

There also tends to be a suggestion that they are bought because really people dont know what they are buying or how to look after them.

The quotes below are just an example -

As a proud and loving owner to a beautiful cockerpoo pup I would just like to say that I deliberately set out to find a breeder of these when my dog died, having seen one a couple of years ago.

Why do some people want only GSD's, or Boxers or Rottiie's? Non of these dogs would be number 1 on my 'dog to get' list, although they are great dogs. A lot of this is personal preference and there is no right or wrong in it.

I could quite easily have gone to the local rescue - there is one just up the road from me - but I chose not to. I have had rescue dogs before, but this time I decided to do this.

My last dog, a rescue dog, cost me £45 to buy, Bobby has cost me considerably more, but already he as shown himself to have a beautiful temperament and I am seriously considering getting him a brother to play with next year - from the same breeder.

I know about puppy farms and how horrible they are and they should all be shut down in my opinion. However, a lot of puppy farm businesses breed pedigree dogs in large numbers, so to link them to people having 'poos as if they are the sole reason for their existence is disingenuous in my opinion.

I don't know how the people mentioned in the post above bought their poos, but surely the same safeguards when buying a pup from a breeder should apply, regardless of whether you consider the dog a proper pedigree or a so called 'designer' dog. I researched as much as I could about this 'breed', as I would have done if I was going to buy a poodle or anything else.

I have read lots of threads on here and elsewhere about people either breeding pedigrees dogs who have not done the proper checks, or people who have bought a pedigree and the breeders haven't done health checks, buyers haven't seen the parents etc.

Surely people have to have a bit of commonsense and take responsibility for what they are deciding, and that goes for whatever type of dog you are getting.?

My pup is nearly 5 months, I groom him once a week. Will this change as he gets older - probably. Will he need to go to the pooch parlour regularly, - yes but do Samoyeds groom themselves? GSD's never moult and need a groom, could a long haired rescue dog with unknown parentage not grow into a so called high maintainence dog?
Both of my friends that have cockerXpoodles are first time dog owners and did not research the type of dog that they ended up with. One was brought from a puppy farm and the other is an F2 which are now being linked to many health problems.

Most dogs of this type that I meet when I'm out walking belong to people that are also first time dog owners and freely admit they were clueless to the care required plus the vastly differing sizes of these dogs when fully grown.

I met a 4 month old cockerXpoodle who was the same size as the 2 adult poos. The owners had been told he was a cocker X miniature poodle but he clearly wasn't!

One of the friends I mentioned, wanted a small dog and was told that her cockerXpoodle would not exceed a certain height. He completely exceeded this height and also they were told he wouldn't need much grooming. She has told me she would not have brought the dog had she known the huge amount of grooming that he needs.

I have no problem with the dog itself, most of the ones I've met have been nice dogs. I do struggle with how some breeders have completely taken advantage of the ignorance and gullibility of some first time dog owners.

I admire you for sticking up for your dogs and I completely understand your loyalty. I have a JRT, a breed that is constantly put down. My dog is neither yappy or snappy or prone to running down rabbit holes.

But I also don't understand why a poodle wasn't good enough in the first place. Why there was a need to create this cross? Poodles don't shed, they are highly intelligent and are sociable with people and other dogs. The price of these dogs is utterly ridiculous given that many aren't from health checked parents and many are from puppy farms.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »