Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Clone Or Not To Clone

Hi This is on tonight Animal Planet 8pm,I think it may be and interesting programme Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Oh would like to see that, thanks
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi I have just finished watching this programme,it was very sad that people love something so much,that there world in fact becomes smaller,I have always thought love makes the world a bigger and better world,but maybe it wasnt love but an obsession.
People have these sort of obsessions too,a well known celebrity became love sick she was married had a famous husband,lovely daughters,she interviewed this man,she would beg steal anything,and she chased him from one end of the world to the other,but she convinced herself that he loved her,she lost sight of the real world,and she cornered him and she wanted to have his baby,never mind the real world and her real family,anyway she got her wish,then he was found dead in suspicious circumstances,she came back to England devasted not because of his death, but that he was with another woman,but she did something, which caused grief to his real family she got hold of his ashes sewed them into a pillow and brought them back with her,and slept with them until she died of a drug overdose.But her husband became a good egg and took on this other mans child as well as his own,despite all the legal battles he gained custody of this other mans child and is bringing them all up together.With the people regarding there pets and cloning its an obsession but it isnt really hurting anyone,it isnt a dark obsession where you end up destroying yourself and hurting others.
In some ways I found it very moving,but still wondering if the guys girlfriend thinks to herself,his only true love is the dog so what am I but she seemed happy enough to share.Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Didn't get to see it So the view you had was changed slightly by watching this, do you think?
That's why I wanted to see it, to see if I would maybe then view it in a different way.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Didn't get to see it So the view you had was changed slightly by watching this, do you think?
That's why I wanted to see it, to see if I would maybe then view it in a different way.
Hi Not sure,at first when it was billed,I thought it would be about people with too much money,and not enough sense,but they were ordinary people,they struggled to get the money together,but is it love or is it obsession,they didnt seem concerned about possible health problems just that the dogs would look like and be a replacement for the dog they lost,but again I dont know how much DA was used to produce the clone,it was Korea,here in England they used a live animal to get an exact copy (dolly the sheep) and even using an exact copy,the clone one had health problems and varied a lot from the original.So to me I think its best not to mess with science,have fond memories but do not expect to find a replacement or you could be really disappointed.Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Not sure whether its love or obsession....imagine as the pain threshold for everyone is different, these people just can' t actually cope with it. To them it is obviously unbearable and they can' t see past that.Think given some time they might see things differently and not be tempted to take such a drastic step. Wondering if they really are satisfied with the outcome
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Not sure whether its love or obsession....imagine as the pain threshold for everyone is different, these people just can' t actually cope with it. To them it is obviously unbearable and they can' t see past that.Think given some time they might see things differently and not be tempted to take such a drastic step. Wondering if they really are satisfied with the outcome
Hi
I think sometimes if people have never found the level of love an Animal gives you unconditional,and they have humanised that animal,in their experience they would believe that particular animal loved them,they would never believe that any other would love them,as they were not people who had experience off dogs,except for these.My first instinct when I lost Red would his brother be having a litter as there were only 2 boys,not because of the reasons that the people in the programme were looking for,but just his temprement.So it depends if they get back what they think they have lost,and whether that bond is there then maybe.Its very sad that people are so needy and cannot find what they are looking for in relationships with humans Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi
I think sometimes if people have never found the level of love an Animal gives you unconditional,and they have humanised that animal,in their experience they would believe that particular animal loved them,they would never believe that any other would love them,as they were not people who had experience off dogs,except for these.My first instinct when I lost Red would his brother be having a litter as there were only 2 boys,not because of the reasons that the people in the programme were looking for,but just his temprement.So it depends if they get back what they think they have lost,and whether that bond is there then maybe.Its very sad that people are so needy and cannot find what they are looking for in relationships with humans Gemini54
Totally agree with that
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Eileen maybe it was this article from a year ago?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Labrador.html
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 04:53 PM
More info here Eileen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_cloning

And here (probably this one as it is Korea)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/sh...o-die-clone-it

Really helps as I've said before - if a link to the article you are talking about is included. Some sites don't allow you to 'quote' unless you include a link. Not saying Gemini quoted - she always puts it in her own words. But often people want to find out more (I always do) and see the original source of what has been stated.

Article here on the 'pitfalls'
http://www.technologyreview.com/view...f-pet-cloning/

Another one warning of the 'dangers'
http://www.nopetcloning.org/

And a very recent one mentioning the Korean company who is offering this service - Sooam Biotech
http://rt.com/news/dog-cloning-contest-uk-150/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >