Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 11:19 AM

walking lots of dogs

I still struggle to walk all 5

on their own easy walk in 2 little control needed walk 3 getting hard work now pulling and jumping up

4 and 5 ................nightmare

I am talking road walking as i have a 10 mins walk to the river even then i just use a long line when i get there

I look like this mad dog woman out of control its getting embarrasing

they might be small but thats worse really
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 11:29 AM
It's not too bad with my lot but because they keep swapping sides they plait the leads so I have to keep stopping and untangling them. I think I may invest in some couples and attach them in height pairs!
However when I go to the woods, people actually put their dogs away and wait for me to let my lot out as they love watching it lol!
Becky
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 11:34 AM
I would find the one in the pack that starts it off, IE pulling, barking ect.

CKCS are very strong little dogs

When I had Charlie and Khia. I walked seven and they are all very well behaved.

I use a separate normal leads and collars.
I have tried couples but feel I had less control.
I don't use harnesses because I feel they can encourage pulling.

In my pack I keep my oldest in check and the others follow.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I always make them sit/stay altogether at the door, befor and after putting on the leads.

Re training I would always get them to leave calmly behind me. If got over exsited back to doing a sit stay. Also any pulling, I would check (using voice) and walk in oposite direction. If I had any barking, It's a no and sit/stay.

This starts the begging of a calm walk.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
You need to keep trying to work on showing them that you are in control of the walk (pack leader).
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Well with my lot I use short link couplers on two pairs and Max and Skye go on normal leads, and I pair them up as follows Onyx and Jess and Ruby and Jet.

The reason I pair these up like this is because both Jess and Jet are still very young, so they take their lead from the older dogs Ruby and Onyx.

So when anyone see me walking down the street I have on my left Skye on her normal lead on the outside then Jet and on the inside is Ruby. ME. Onyx, Jess Max on his normal lead on the outside.

So basically I put the oldest dogs on the outside, the youngest in the middle and then the middle aged ones on the inside.

The reason I use short link couple leads is for two reasons. Firstly it keeps them from going in different directions to each other and secondly you need to have the shortest distance between them and you for proper lead control.

The other thing you have got to do when walking alot of dogs is teach them all to responded to one overall command. So when I'm out and I get to a road I just say "sit" and six backside go down in one. You shouldn't have to be using all of their different name with the command as you will be there all day.

If you find that you have got one that keeps walking faster then the others, then reduce the length of his/her lead so he/she stays in line with the others. It will only be a couple of good walks before he/she will get the message to stay in line.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 12:58 PM
My lot walk by the side of me on either side, I am lucky I have no pulling but usually I have Andrew with me and we walk along together
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
We do similar to Colin, except all on seperate leads, so would go -

Felix, Indy, Scot -ME- Harry, Dillan

Indy and Scot occasionally start a pulling war but a verbal check and a sit wait usually gets them back in line. Must admit this is the first group i've been able to walk on plain collars and leads, with the kelpies they wore headcollars.

xx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Trixy View Post
My lot walk by the side of me on either side, I am lucky I have no pulling but usually I have Andrew with me and we walk along together
I can walk 3 alone with little probs its 4-5 that seems to tip the balance ( more 5 really )

i prefere to walk all 5 on one side perhaps i need to let them walk either
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Petstalk View Post
You need to keep trying to work on showing them that you are in control of the walk (pack leader).
thanks min its not that its more of a lets get there quickly excitment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >