Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Whileywoo
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Anal Sacs - squeezing to empty?

Its something i've heard of being done quite widely, but just how healthy is it for our dogs?

I've never done it, and neither has my mum, not threw grossness but generally our dogs not being that bad, but Madeline has gotten really fowl smelling this week and i suggested it to mum. Shes not liking the idea of doing it herself :P and i said i'd do it when i visit them tomorrow, but does anyone have a descriptive instructual page about doing it? I'd hate to hurt her, and also hate to get it all over meself
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:18 AM
if you are unsure get your vet to do it .......
Whileywoo
New Member!
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Its not a matter of being unsure, i've never been shown how. If after seeing directions i dont feel i can do it effeciently then off to the vet i shall go!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:34 AM
get the vet to show you thats what i did a few years back

although i really dislike doing them
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/analsac.htm

Or do what I did and get the vet to show you how to do it.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:49 AM
The following link describes how you would empty the anal sacs, but if you haven't done it before I would get your vet to show you the first time

Anal Sacs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Whileywoo some dogs are predisposed to having anal gland problems and if left untreated they can become impacted/infected.

It is a quick and easy procedure to empty them, here is how you do it
..have a small bowl of warm water ready,
..standing at the side of the dog hold the tail up in one hand,
..with the other hand take a tissue and gently squeeze the sides of the dogs anus with the side of your thumb and forefinger at about the 'ten to two position',
..take a clean tissue and repeat,
..remember to breath through your mouth not your nose
..now gently wash the area around the dogs anus with the warm water and a blob of dog shampoo,
..dry with a tissue.
The whole process takes about two minutes and the dog doesn't seem to mind in the least.

As always if in doubt consult the vet.
chihuahualover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks Its wasnt my question but I was wondering the same thing! I havent got that far in my pet grooming class

Thanks for the info though my mi mi has been scooting her butt and I was told thats a sign.

Oh and thanx for the welcome to the site, I was truly over whelmed!

Christel and Mi Mi The chihuahua hope you have a great
day
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Another sign is the muscles in the back "twitching". Poppy gets this occasionally and it's obviously uncomfortable for her because she'll stop what she's doing and lay down. The vet said that's because the build up in the anal glands is putting pressure on the spine.

I can tell when Poppy's glands need emptying because she scraps her bum on the patio. But I usually take her every 3 months anyway, when she goes for her dew claws and nails to be trimmed.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
The way I do it as my bitch has problems since she was spayed.
Pair of plastic or fine rubber clubs (medical ones)
Lift tails and insert finger into anus feeling in the southwest, southeast area. You will feel two small bumps. Put your finger at the back of these bumps and push gently towards you behind them towards the opening. Use your other hand to give you something to push again. Do this very gently and empty slowly. Once finished clean area with cooled boiled water. I always use one glove for each anal glad to stop any cross infection etc.
It's straight forward to be honest the smell is not bad. If it is then I would get the dog checked out for infections.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >