View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:10 PM
On the last pic of cain the muzzle doesn't seem to be too close to his nose. hes definately got a shepherd face! but can see both breeds, hes a lovely looking dog.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Diesel's currently back wearing his muzzle after biting a poor Staff, its probally too big for him in the mouth, its a Greyhound one, but tbh for me its perfect, I know that he can open his mouth fully to pant (Diesel doesn't stop from when he's let off a lead to when he's back on, so I wouldn't like to know what would happen if he couldn't pant ) and drink etc, but also it has the gap from the front to the nose, which I know from experience with him that if he doesn't have enough of a gap he can injure his nose by running it along the floor, as if anything sharp gets in it can go straight to his nosem which has lead to a bleeding nose on more then one occasion .

It looks too tight on his face, but tbh that makes sure that he doesn't get it off, it use to be better, but it got squashed or something in transit and hasn't been the same since.

SDC11184 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC11181 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I personally would not use a soft muzzle for training purposes - correct me if I'm wrong, but with Ben we have a soft muzzle that we put on him when we have to do something that he doesn't like ... currently that is treating a nasty cut on his leg with tea tree oil - he hates us putting tea tree oil on him because of the smell. Once we have put a drop on his wound, we can take off the soft muzzle and he is fine, the smell of the tea tree keeps him from licking it and making it worse.

Am I right in thinking that if we ever needed to use a muzzle because of aggression issues out on a walk, the Baskerville is the correct type to use?
Yes, you're right Gnasher. Soft clothy muzzles should only be used for short procedures, because dogs cannot pant in them. In fact, a bulldog died in a vet surgery when it had a cloth muzzle on, sadly.

Just wanted to add re. the tea tree oil, it probably stings if being put on neat. I would put it neat on the coat, but i'ts still better to dilute a tad in a water spray for that. As an aromatherapist, the mantra was always to dilute essential oils in another oil so as to avoid any sensitivity etc.

Wys
x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, you're right Gnasher. Soft clothy muzzles should only be used for short procedures, because dogs cannot pant in them. In fact, a bulldog died in a vet surgery when it had a cloth muzzle on, sadly.

Just wanted to add re. the tea tree oil, it probably stings if being put on neat. I would put it neat on the coat, but i'ts still better to dilute a tad in a water spray for that. As an aromatherapist, the mantra was always to dilute essential oils in another oil so as to avoid any sensitivity etc.

Wys
x
Surprisingly, neat tea tree oil doesn't sting unless put neat onto mucous membrane. My stupid mother put drops of tea tree oil into my father eyes thinking it was eye drops, and he said the agony was akin to being kicked in the gonads by an army mule!!

You are right thought about avoiding sensitivity - my mother overused tea tree oil, and is now allergic to it and cannot use it on herself.

Thanx for the advice and the confirmation about muzzles. I hate putting a muzzle on Ben, but it is absolutely necessary unfortunately when doing any sort of surgical procedure on him!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5