View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:07 AM
The dogs are on another site page called forgotten dogs need loving homes in the album JULY POUNDIES NEEDING URGENT RESCUE SPACE.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
in my experience when they advertise for that they really are looking for rescues, not individuals?

hmm.........

eta i found the page, it even says rescue space only.....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Does the 'rescue' know you are getting a pup shortly?
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Well, I think I would have done the same given the right circumstances - just that my family woudln't be so supportive so its unlikely to ever happen. Good on you for helping these two girls ... at least they'll be going to a loving home, and who knows, it might be really good for the puppy to have 'role models' whilst growing up.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Money, time and effort commitments aside, I would be seriously concerned about the factors that you can't control.

Litter mate bitches? never a good idea, what are you going to do if they fall out?

And only a few weeks to assess their behaviour before throwing a puppy in. What if they don't like puppies?

bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I think the OP's heart was in the right place, but it was a terrible decision. I have a Staffie X right now whom is still a puppy, I cant imagine taking on two more! That being said, it would be best to give the two girls up to one of the other applicants (though that whole story sounds somewhat sketchy to me but who am I to judge).

Question for you all (and this really is just curiosity as I've never met anyone who has littermates), why is it so bad to get two puppies from the same litter, especially females? I understand it would be really hard to train and socialize two pups, but is there some other reason as well?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by bfetterman View Post
I think the OP's heart was in the right place, but it was a terrible decision. I have a Staffie X right now whom is still a puppy, I cant imagine taking on two more! That being said, it would be best to give the two girls up to one of the other applicants (though that whole story sounds somewhat sketchy to me but who am I to judge).

Question for you all (and this really is just curiosity as I've never met anyone who has littermates), why is it so bad to get two puppies from the same litter, especially females? I understand it would be really hard to train and socialize two pups, but is there some other reason as well?
Aside from the extra work, the pups bonding with each other rather than the owner, the problem with having litter sisters in particular is that when bitches fall out they often mean it and can never be trusted or even be in the same room/house after a fight... Bitches don't tend to forgive and forget whereas males it is usually more manageable (though not always the case).

This is not just with litter mates either, can be two unrelated bitches (I had this and the other bitch was relentless in wanting to kill my other bitch) and I had to rehome her (the instigator).
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:27 PM
How disappointing, I really thought the OP had seen sense over the other thread.

Anyone that knows Staffords can see that this is going to end in tears from a mile off, some people just don't want to listen.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
How disappointing, I really thought the OP had seen sense over the other thread.

Anyone that knows Staffords can see that this is going to end in tears from a mile off, some people just don't want to listen.
Yup, would be nice if OP could re-read this post in particular and try to think with their head here..

Originally Posted by NicoleLouu View Post
Thank you! Made a smile on my face! Always nice to be complimented, just want best for my little man. I've decided against it, and just keeping him. I want to put 110% into him, and having 2 I won't be able to give him the affection, attention and training he needs or deserves.

Thank you!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
The sisters already have a bond with each other, and throwing a male pup into the equation could affect that bond.
That's what I found bringing an adult(bitch) rescue in to live with my 2 adult dogs.
It can also take quite a while for rescues to settle in a new home........the sisters are going to have a LOT to deal with all at once.
I wish you well if you do go ahead with the rescues and the pup, but it's not something I would like to tackle.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >