What is really in commercial pet food.

Good linky this, take a peak.
Dawn.

http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/APIarticle
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Dawn, VERY interesting, quite disturbing as well really, I knew it wasn't the best stuf to use, but hadn't realised how bad it was either
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Really interesting. My two year old dog Alfie developed struvite crystals a few months ago and my vet said his were diet related. We bought a special diet (very expensive) for him to help clear the crystals, but Alfie wouldn,t eat it and ended up losing lots of weight. I found out about a homemade recipe for Struvite crystal (didn,t tell the vet though ) and tried this, Alfie loves it and put weight back on in a few days. Alfie was retested a few weeks ago for crystals and is now totally clear, the vet said that Alfie's crystals had cleared up really quickly concidering there had been so many in the first place and was in really good condition. I never told him that Alfie was eating the home made recipe as i know he would have disagreed with me using it , it actually works out cheaper than the veterinary diet and there is no waste.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Think I'll stick to Burns..........lol.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi CC, i use Burns as well as Arden Grange for my other dogs, but decided against trying Burns for Alfie, as a friend of mine has a dog who had struvite crystals and she was feeding him Burns at the time. Maybe dry dog food just doesn,t suit some dogs digestive systems
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
*I never told him that Alfie was eating the home made recipe as i know he would have disagreed with me using it , it actually works out cheaper than the veterinary diet and there is no waste.*

Good for you Louie, glad the home made diet worked
Mind don`t see how he could disagree with it when it worked
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:08 AM
It's the same as Thornit for their ears, mention it at the vets and they start lecturing, I still use it with success too, I think the vets don't like it because we've found something that actually works....without their help too.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
It's the same as Thornit for their ears, mention it at the vets and they start lecturing, I still use it with success too, I think the vets don't like it because we've found something that actually works....without their help too.
Yes know what they`re like, just don`t seem to understand anything that works that hasn`t come off the traditional drugs list

I`m very lucky with the vet I`ve got now, hes seen what works for my lot, very open minded & even occasionally asks me for links to things sometimes
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Christine
*I never told him that Alfie was eating the home made recipe as i know he would have disagreed with me using it , it actually works out cheaper than the veterinary diet and there is no waste.*

Good for you Louie, glad the home made diet worked
Mind don`t see how he could disagree with it when it worked
I know what you mean Christine, but our vets are complete dog food fanatics . When our Emma was having her first litter of puppies she wouldn,t eat complete or tinned, in fact any dog food so i fed her raw meat (she wouldn,t eat it cooked) and good quality mixer, also added vitamin supplement. I took her to the vets for a check up at about five weeks pregnant and she commented on what nice condition she was in and asked what i was feeding her. When i told her, she was horrified and told me that i was risking her health and the pups . If they ask i always tell them now that we use good quality complete.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >