Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Louie's off his food

Louie's not been very well lately - just the odd throw up and runs - but we're over the runs now.

But whats worrying me is that he is off his food. Normally he wolfs it down - well tries he has a slow eater dish.

He's normal on his walks and during the day - he sleeps more now that the snows come and poses more of a challenge walking - but thats a good thing

I've put Sandwich meat in it - warm water everything, he wont even take nutella off my finger (I dont feed it him - I just wanted to see if he'd eat something)

but he wouldn't - I'm lost, do I just leave him and try him in the morning?

Could it be the change in weather?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:47 PM
If everything else is pretty much normal, I would def leave him, at least until tomorrow morning.
I wouldn't keep offering him food, just see how he goes.
If he is sick or has the runs again too much, then maybe just ask advice from the vet. But I wouldn't worry too much just now.
Hope he will be back to normal very soon.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:49 PM
If he's had a tummy bug and has thrown things up, he may have got excess stomach acid from the empty stomach. Kiki had this after a mild bug, it's a vicious circle as they don't feel like eating but this makes them worse. We popped her to my vets who wasn't too worried but gave her something for the acid in her tum, and sure enough she felt well enough to eat a few hours later.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
If everything else is pretty much normal, I would def leave him, at least until tomorrow morning.
I wouldn't keep offering him food, just see how he goes.
If he is sick or has the runs again too much, then maybe just ask advice from the vet. But I wouldn't worry too much just now.
Hope he will be back to normal very soon.
Thanks - the runs were only because of new foods which my OH's autistic brother keeps giving him - despite numerous tellings not to - he doesnt get chocolate or human food unless the food is good for him though.

He's been eating toys so is gipping them up and it's mainly only threads of rope toys and squeaky balls he's chewed then last night it was food so I dunno he's been alright today.

I dunno if he's not alright by next week I shall take him to the vets - I cant get atm with the amount of snow. But he will definately be going if he doesnt improve - I just thought that with the change in weather it might have put him off his food - I know it does Sadie in the summer
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If he's had a tummy bug and has thrown things up, he may have got excess stomach acid from the empty stomach. Kiki had this after a mild bug, it's a vicious circle as they don't feel like eating but this makes them worse. We popped her to my vets who wasn't too worried but gave her something for the acid in her tum, and sure enough she felt well enough to eat a few hours later.
I gave him a ginger biscuit after last nights throw up - to settle his stomach and he ate that fine as did the biscuits this morning. I'll wait til morning and see how he is

Thanks
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
The good news:

He's eating again! Must have just been a spell.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Glad Louie is back to normal. It is a worry when they don't eat and your imagination goes into overdrive.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Glad Louie is back to normal. It is a worry when they don't eat and your imagination goes into overdrive.
Well I'm not bothered when he doesnt eat his normal food - but when he wont take chocolate (not that he gets it anyway) it is a little worrying! But we're all fine now