Female 

16-06-2011, 09:54 PM

How can you check ....

that a bloodline/pedigree is genuine?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 10:05 PM
By purchasing from a reputable breeder that belongs to one or more of the relevant breed clubs.

The only way of TRULY knowing a pup's parentage is by DNA profiling.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 11:32 AM
If you want to check that a pedigree is the one issued by the kennel club you can obtain a pedigree from them but if the breeder has given them false information that will not show up. DNA testing will tell you the parentage of the puppy but you just have to have an honest breeder to know the lines back after 2 or 3 generations.
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 01:30 PM
By buying from a respectable, honest, caring breeder who you trust and is, as said, member of breed clubs and well known- i guess also seeing the mother of the puppy and all of her documents/etc might help?
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I think the true answer to this is - you cant !

The only way to prove parentage is by a DNA test. These DNA tests have not been widely available until quite recently. All my breeding stock as been DNA identified for five generations so I can prove the bitch line. However, I have to take on trust that whichever stud dog I chose to use is exactly who his owner says he is !

However, in my numerically small breed I know most breeders and most other dogs and their lines quite well, so I trust that all is correct.

Puppy farmers on the other hand are another kettle of fish and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves. For instance, because they can only register one litter per year per bitch with the KC, it has not been unknown for two bitches to have two litters each per year with the first two litters being accredited to the first bitch and the second two litters being accredited to the second bitch. That way the paperwork for half the puppies is incorrect.

So as the others have said you have to suss out a dedicated, honest breeder and this is not easy. However KC Accredited breeders now have to have their stock DNA identified and also by contacting the breed club who should have the welfare of their breed to the foremost.

THalices Mum