Our sister sites
Our sister sites
xionax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Owners with epilepsy

Hi

i own a 2 year old tibetan terrier. im 18 and found out i had epilepsy approx 1 year ago. My dog Tilly can sometimes sense im going to have a seizure by acting a little strange. Iv had two seizures whilst on a walk (just me and tilly). First seizure (i cant remeber thi,s but paramedics told me when i came round) that tilly sat as close to me as possible and barked till someone came to rescue . the second whilst on walk she normaly when let off lead just runs off and plays, but this time she wouldn't leave me side, when i came round she still woulndt leave my side an hour or two after. i live with my mum and shes started to use tilly as a kind of seizure alarm.

i was just wandering if anybody else has epilepsy and how their dogs respond? would love to hear
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by xionax View Post
Hi

i own a 2 year old tibetan terrier. im 18 and found out i had epilepsy approx 1 year ago. My dog Tilly can sometimes sense im going to have a seizure by acting a little strange. Iv had two seizures whilst on a walk (just me and tilly). First seizure (i cant remeber thi,s but paramedics told me when i came round) that tilly sat as close to me as possible and barked till someone came to rescue . the second whilst on walk she normaly when let off lead just runs off and plays, but this time she wouldn't leave me side, when i came round she still woulndt leave my side an hour or two after. i live with my mum and shes started to use tilly as a kind of seizure alarm.

i was just wandering if anybody else has epilepsy and how their dogs respond? would love to hear
Hi, siezure alert dogs are becoming more and more common, have you contacted the following organisation for some help?

http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/
http://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Rupert seems to pick up on my seizures really early, won't come near me for a couple of days before I have one. Obviously not that much use as a warning but if Rupe's avoiding me I make sure I don't do any cooking, handle hot drinks etc. If my hubbys here when it happens he crates Rupe so he doesn't get hurt as he comes to cuddle up to me and has been kicked a few times. Once it's over he'll glue himself to me and not leave my side for a few hours.

Thankfully I've never had one while out with Rupert. It's something that worries me as he's very reluctant to let even my husband near me, I'm not sure how he'd react to a complete stranger trying to help me.
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:14 PM
My OH has eplipesy and the dogs have always looked after him.

A couple of weeks ago he was out on a walk with them and started to have a seizure whilst on a country lane. Our spaniel jumped at him, hit him in the chest and knocked him to the ground. She then barked at him until he came round.