dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Recommend me some industrial-strength toys

Death toll from last week:
2 tennis balls,
1 doggy football,
1 kong - suspected manufacturing fault on that one though (see previous thread),
The Wubba's not looking very happy but holding its own so far

Basically I'm after stuff to take out with us on a walk - we tend to do a spot of walking and then a spot of playing around. Trouble is - jaws-o-matic kills most things within seconds and I'm running out of stuff available in local shops. We've got one Tough Toys ball on a rope thing that you could bludgeon a potential assailant to death with that the actual ball part's survived with, but the rope's had to be replaced... a Wubba hanging on in there and that's pretty much it for park-type toys. He seems to need a bit of novelty - what I want is a rotation of say 4 toys that I can take out with us and swap around every week or so so he doesn't get bored.

He's got lots of chewy things, nylabones, tuggies (but he only seems to like playing them in the house) and the like - it's just breaking my heart that he LOVES getting a new toy to take out with us - and there's not much out there for a heavy jawsed dog like him really. Can't even get a more resilient ball for a ball launcher - there are solid rubber ones that last better, but they're a tad too small for the launchers to be used properly.

So... since I'm coming into a chunk of cash for sats marking in the next month or so - recommendations from the land of the internets please.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.4pawsdogproducts.co.uk/De...?ProductID=123

Gabe has one of these. The only thing he has not destroyed so far is black kongs, but they do not float.

I got one of these in Oz and he gives it hell on a walk (the only time he is allowed it). First one has lasted 18 months, second on is not on the go as well. I did not think it would last as well as it has. It is 'flaked' but still in good working order and has a nice texture.

The Hucks are quite small and the Tux can be fairly easily destroyed I think. Not had much experience of the Bumi or the Zisc
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-05-2011, 06:21 PM

I should perhaps add what it is LOL

It's called a Galileo and my Fingal (who destroyed every toy over the years) has had his for about 5 years now at least. He loves it and carries it around everywhere he goes.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Mine lasted one of my dogs a week.............
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I should perhaps add what it is LOL

It's called a Galileo and my Fingal (who destroyed every toy over the years) has had his for about 5 years now at least. He loves it and carries it around everywhere he goes.
Does it float?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I found this one has lasted a surprisingly long time
http://www.mutleyandmog.co.uk/dog/do...oss-pull-large (if the link doesn't work google bamboo dog toys, it's the toss and pull)
The tennis ball on the end lasts no time at all but the rope and stuffed rectangular bit have stood up to Ruperts chewing really well. He's had free access to the old one for about 18 months and although it has a huge hole in it now it's still useable as a tug toy. The new one we've had for about a year and only comes out when we're actually playing with Rupe and still looks like new. Well, except for the tennis ball not being there anyway lol.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Does it float?
Hmm - not sure to be honest
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:38 PM
There's a company that have produced a tennis ball sized ball made from the same stuff as water buoys, they've stood up to Kiki pretty well. They're called Fenda Balls, can't find any online but if you contact Best Friends Pet Products they can let you know of local stockists.
Jolly balls are pretty tough too and Kiki loves them, took her over a year to destroy the two I bought.
I have a few toys made from rope too, a few ball shaped ones (about 4" or so in diameter) and my local poundshop does rectangular/bar shape ones which are good for fetch.
Kong tails and Kong Wubbas have lasted quite well too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Tip, go to a chandlers for tug toys (pardon the pun)
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Tip, go to a chandlers for tug toys (pardon the pun)
Cracking idea! After years of spending money on tug toys, that lasted 10 minutes, I've been racking my brains as to where I could buy rope.

I have to say, as far as bought toys go, the Wubba has been a massive hit! It lost it's squeak after about 5 goes (which is real good going in our house!), and finally died today, after a massive final game of tug, which resulted in Simon proudly running back with its outside, and Jake proudly holding the ball from inside! It has lasted about 4 weeks of intense play, and they both adore it. (They have a new one for their holidays, but it's a secret!)

For cheapo tug games, I buy jeans from charity shops
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >