View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:19 PM
i playtuggy with bruno, and I actually have footage of my son at 15 months playing tuggy with him too,.

He just knows how hard to pull dependent on who is at the other end, and he also loves to win on the odd occasion !!
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2011, 09:21 PM
My Rott loves a game of tug of war and never been a problem.
Most of the time she won't even pull too hard it's like she knows not to If i say leave she will let go really fast no matter how tight she has it in her mouth.

I think like others have said it's just knowing your own dog because they're all different no matter what breed.

My dog does suffer slightly with nervous aggression but never ever with me over absolutley anything she is fantastic i could remove a bone from her mouth with mine if i wanted to not that i make a habit of it because i don't really like the taste
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Come on Hihosilver, get off the fence and tell us what you really think!

Thanks for all the replies all, and the interesting links.
If she does ever start to play, we'll let her play tuggey without fear of turning her into a natural born killer
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I've been told not to play tug of war with my Akitas for the same reason, pah, they love it, with a human or another dog, one's naughty and one's not, i don't believe the tug of war game has had any effect on their behaviour really...it's just a bit of fun.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:36 PM
My dogs play tuggy with each other and remain friends so I can`t see any harm in it. I don`t play tuggy with Daisy in case I hurt my damaged hand and she knows this so she drops her toy in front of me.
It`s the interactive play they love, not the contest.
Here`s Daisy having a gentle tuggy play with a small friend

HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Come sit down beside me

I said to myself

And although it doesn't make sense

I took my own hand as a small sign of trust

And together I sat on the fence...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Come sit down beside me

I said to myself

And although it doesn't make sense

I took my own hand as a small sign of trust

And together I sat on the fence...
sounds painful....
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 01:45 PM
as long as she has a leave it command i cant see a problem although i have never owned a rottie
ATD x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, certainly in the case of some dogs & owners I would actually avoid tug-games with a Rott.

As Moon's Mum said, it is more to do with the individual traits of the dog rather than breed - BUT, Rotties are a naturally dominant breed and to a less experienced owner, tug-games and 'playing rough' could inadvertently encourage unwanted behaviour problems. Some breeds you can play rough and tug games all day long and not have an issue - but a Rott isn't one of them

Rotties do like to challenge authority and test their status with their owners, until they understand where the boundaries lie. If you get someone who allows their Rott to win tug-games and play rough with the dog dominating in the main, then that dog is going to get the wrong message and cause future problems. How many times have we read on here (from various breeds) that threads have been written about dogs playing rough (particularly encouraged by the men in the house) and then this turns to 'play-biting' and dominance issues raising their heads.

I'm not saying never play a game of tuggie - in fact the ragger Marius has is one of his favourite toys. But you must always be the one who 'wins' and I would never allow him to keep the toy either. The one thing I would NOT ever do is play-rough and Sid doesn't do it either. It was something he used to do with Ozzy and I never agreed with and on reflection we both believe it led to problems further down the road.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >