Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Close calls...

I think I need to move area...as you know I had the almost incident last week, and this week another close call...I'm not feeling as safe, if only I could afford a nice house somewhere away from people!
I had just dropped off my walking buddy and a few doors down stood a girl in the open doorway, next to her was her terrier. She was about 6. The dog started coming towards us and I kept walking...she started shouting her Dad who was accross the street and he came and got the dog before he reached us.
I called back and asked if he was friendly...the man said yes, with people I wasn't asking for me!
I know nothing technically happened, but would any of you ever leave your dog-reactive/unfriendly dog with a child standing in the doorway while you're across the street? It was more lucky timing that nothing actually happened, another potentially horrible situation.
Anyone else have regular close calls? They're obviously not as bad as actual incidents, but they're nervewracking nonetheless, especially when you have an active imagination like I do!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Glad it was only a close call xxx I can not say we have TBH but I would still love to pick my house up and move area
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:51 PM
If you are unhappy where you are, have you considered moving to a smaller house in a nicer area?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Glad it was only a close call xxx I can not say we have TBH but I would still love to pick my house up and move area
I know the feeling!

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
If you are unhappy where you are, have you considered moving to a smaller house in a nicer area?
We're in the nicest area we can afford right now sadly I wish! The only step down now is a flat, and we don't want that cos of Axel and no garden. We're keeping an eye out for possible areas and house prices and hoping we strike lucky!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I would certainly never leave Cherry in this situation and I doubt she would bite another dog but she would certainly go into head-butt mode if she decided she didn't like it!
I'm very conscious of her undesirable behaviour she could exhibit and do not put other dogs at risk.

I always carry a pet corrector and an alarm spray so if I am in this sort of situation I feel safer as I know I can protect my dogs should the need arise.

I am quite nervy around certain breeds because of the bad experiences we have had and the type of owners we have met with these breeds sadly.

Obviously with a Greyhound it must be worrying as they don't have a lot of fur or fat to protect them do they?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I would certainly never leave Cherry in this situation and I doubt she would bite another dog but she would certainly go into head-butt mode if she decided she didn't like it!
I'm very conscious of her undesirable behaviour she could exhibit and do not put other dogs at risk.

I always carry a pet corrector and an alarm spray so if I am in this sort of situation I feel safer as I know I can protect my dogs should the need arise.

I am quite nervy around certain breeds because of the bad experiences we have had and the type of owners we have met with these breeds sadly.

Obviously with a Greyhound it must be worrying as they don't have a lot of fur or fat to protect them do they?
You wouldn't because you're a responsible person and think ahead! My issue isn't only the fact the dog was unsupervised (by a child) in the door way, but that the owner knew he'd want to go after dogs!

Yeah, I do worry. No much fat to protect them and thin skin which rips open easily and they often have much bigger wounds then other dogs would have for the same injury.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe the dog got out by accident?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Maybe the dog got out by accident?
It looked more like the Dad left the door wide open and told the daughter and dog to stay there while he chatted to a friend. He was aware the dog and child were there from what I could see.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Makes you wonder what could happen if the child had suddenly darted across the road.... dioesnt bear thinking about
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Makes you wonder what could happen if the child had suddenly darted across the road.... dioesnt bear thinking about
I know. Sadly it's the kind of common sense round here...It's the street behind mine and it's quieter and so kids are often running around playing games in the road (yes, cars do go down there). As soon as we've got enough deposit to buy a house, we're leaving.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >