View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I've got one on maddie, but only because it came off a chocolate lindt reindeer and I didn't want to throw it out!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Sometimes the Teckels have them on here when they are hunting.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a bell on the collar of Willow, my oldie bitsa
I did it because she kept wandering off into the woods, carried away with her sniffing! (also her eyesight isn't what it used to be) I had a couple of panic moments when we couldn't find her, so put a bell on her collar, now i can hear her wherever she is

Jann xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Ben used to wear cat bells on his collar because he kept running off, but now he is so obedient we have taken them off.

I rather miss them, he sounded like Rudolf when he was crashing through the undergrowth!!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the interesting replies!

The ones I see are huge and some dogs wear multiple ones.. A dog today with 4 on frightened the life out of kestral (that's not hard though!)

I can 100% understand them for blind dogs and people and do see their use dettering hunting and knowing where the dog is.

I do wonder weather they annoy the dog though when they are so loud.. Perhaps I am humanising them a bit though and they get used to it!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
They dont use it for deterring the Teckels, the hunters do it so they dont shoot their dogs
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
I must admit I really love bells, I'm a bellaholic

Years ago when staying at a friend's house in southern Thailand, the torrential rain from a fierce tropical thunderstorm washed away some soil in the back garden and uncovered a rusty length of light chain, with a bell attached. My friend identified it as a traditional Thai dog bell, made of brass; it was a bit larger than a hazelnut and covered with intricate whorled designs. He said it was probably quite old, so he cleaned it up and added it to his keyring.

Later on that trip I managed to find a shop in Bangkok selling many different sizes of these bells, and bought a handful to bring home as gifts. I still have one, and my sister has another - she tied some red ribbon to it and it's now one of her Christmas tree decorations.

I wasn't very prepared for last winter as I'd only recently moved to this area and found it difficult to walk Merlin in the dark... even in the depths of winter the beach was our favourite place and usually light enough to walk for miles.

This year I have invested heavily in some stunning flashing collars, and - wait for it - bells!

I have two dogs now, and I am determined to find a way of walking them in the dark in the fields around here - the tiny local park just doesn't cut it. So with a good torch, flashing collars and bells on both dogs I shouldn't have too many problems!

Thinking of the Thai dog bells I have just received some brass bells from China, of a similar design, found on Ebay. Plus I have bought some brass falconry bells which are big and loud and rather pretty.... and I got them for about 10p each!

So the bells will go on the flashing collars, only for use after dark.... and if it all goes pear shaped I will have a LOT of very pretty tinkly additions for my Christmas tree!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Ive recently attached a bell to a clip so I have one that I can easily attach.....I think its useful for camping and low visability off lead time.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Sadie used to have one when we cycled - so I could hear which side she was at.. I have thought about it for Louie when he's crashing through the woods - but I can always hear him anyway - he's got to be the worst hunter ever - heavy footed and everything!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Thanks for all the interesting replies!

The ones I see are huge and some dogs wear multiple ones.. A dog today with 4 on frightened the life out of kestral (that's not hard though!)

I can 100% understand them for blind dogs and people and do see their use dettering hunting and knowing where the dog is.

I do wonder weather they annoy the dog though when they are so loud.. Perhaps I am humanising them a bit though and they get used to it!
How does it help blind dogs?! I thought it would help blind owners

Reminds me of my ex who once started talking about assistance dogs and mentioned "blind dogs for deaf dogs"
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >