View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Generally most people do not even bother to ask with mine.........
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm more wary since we got Nancy - she seems to attract a bit of attention that I'm not comfortable with (people wanting to buy her, people wanting to know if she can still run - and I'm always suspicious of why) - so I tend to fib a bit and say she wrecked one of her legs as the reason for her being retired and her tag mentions she's chipped and neutered so hopefully she appears useless enough for 'em to leave us alone.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Mine get left in cars all the time. I guess yeah there is a risk there but IMO, the benefits of the dogs getting out and about far outweigh the slight risk that someone would nick them.

We have had so may people show interest in Copper especially, wanting to buy him etc, never crossed my mind that they were plotting to steal him!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Agree with this ..

When strangers come to the home or workman in the home i never ever comment on how friendly they are ..

If asked are they ok ..
''when i ask them to be''
This works even better if you tie them up when work men come!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Yes I do when we have travellers in the area as I know they like to get their hands on Greyhounds. I am dreading it when the new travellers site is completed just up the road from me, especially as i walk them very early in the morning when its still dark.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I did once have someone try to
I never stop my dogs barking when anyone comes to the bungalow & I just let people think my dogs are not friendly
Same here, I also extend this to our walks, never admit the dog that is gone into observation stance is only waiting to be fussed to anyone.

Many a time I have had the "is he friendly" or "he looks like he want to eat me" comment, I see no reason to enlighten any stranger.

My worst fear is for my home to be broken into and my dogs being stolen or getting out.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I wouldn't say it worries me per say because I would never put my dogs in the position where it could happen (tied outside a shop, left in garden when I'm out, etc.). I wouldn't think anyone would be interested in Dexter or Tilly as they are common breeds, but Bo attracts a lot of attention. So, I'm aware of it but not worried. If you are sensible about not putting your dog(s) in compromising positions, you should be fine.
I don't think you meant that in a bad way and understand what you are saying but that could be a little offensive to some people who may have had their dogs stolen from either their garden or their home
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
I worry more for Toro, cause you hear all sorts of horror stories about bullies being forced to fight...I'd hate my wee one ending up in the wrong hands, makes me sick to think of it, since having Bobo though, I'm not so worried when shes in the car, cause he occupies the back seat and I don't think any one would be too keen putting their hand in through the glass to a Rottie lol xx
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Do I worry about Loui being stolen?
Yes and no.

Yes because he is my pet and so I think you do worry anyway, to an extent.

No, because when I think about it, if he doesn't recognise someone he wont let them past and I go out when the barking starts to let them through the gate. No, because he wont stay with someone simply because they have his collar (and I have felt the strength of him when he 'goes') Also, he will avoid letting someone take his collar. He holds no interest in being super friendly with complete strangers. If someone tried to force him from me he would flip. If a stranger is at the front door he reacts differently to people I know. A stranger came to the door the other night and he barked, when I didn't get there quick enough for them they hammered their fist against the door and Loui almost went through it He doesnt normally do that, a bit of a bark or if its someone he knows he stands at the other side of the door in anticipation but he does not tolerate demanding strangers it seems!
The neighbour has commented on him being a good deterrant.
He has got me out of bed in the night and chased someone out the garden that shouldn't have been there. They were not visiting me or my neighbours but had climbed the fence and I'll tell you I have never seen a look of terror quite like it (or someone get back over a 6ft fence quite so quickly!) Despite all this he is friendly and tolerant. He just is not stupid, I think!

Then yes, because I do not know what lengths someone would go to or HOW they would go about the theft and I do not want to be nieve(sp?) enough to think that it couldn't happen to me or my dog.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Yes I do when we have travellers in the area as I know they like to get their hands on Greyhounds. I am dreading it when the new travellers site is completed just up the road from me, especially as i walk them very early in the morning when its still dark.
Totally agree! Please be careful if you have travellers asking about your dogs. I have had people asking to buy my dogs and ask again after being told no. I have had them follow me in their vans hassling me to give them my dogs, even to the extent when I have said no they have said they will take them off me!!! It got to a point that I would not take the dogs out when they were staying round here. x
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >