View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Although my Staffords here are not DA I have bred and owned a dog that is.

He was the sweetest dog until he was attacked by other dogs on several different occassions. He decided he was not going to wait until they bite first so if an other dog came in his face he went for it first.

Now is that aggressive or reactive. It was not a breeding issue as I kept in touch with his litter mates. It was a learned behaviour so would not be passed in his genes.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:24 PM
The way I see it......

Just because one staffy is DA with one person, it might not be with a completely different owner, thats not to say any owner has done something wrong or different, but owners will treat their dogs different. I love staffies ( infact there is not many dogs I dont like), but it is not the breed for me. It is in my understanding of the breed, that the traits that make it a Stafford Bull Terrier, can make them, if challenged, DA. That is not counting the idiots and numpties that have them cos "well they well ard aint they".
They are game, happy dogs, the ones I have met anyway, but do not suffer fools well, and by that I mean they are not dogs that will not take no for an answer when a strange dog is jumping all over them, or the idiot owner that lets their dog run all over other folks dogs, and most of us have that happen, "they just want to play", some dogs will be accepting of this, but most terriers, by nature do not like in your face dogs, they are bred to be tenacious and brave, they had to be to survive what they were originally bred for and it took years to get these traits and it is the breed standard. They are not like a lab or beagle, or any other dog come to think of it, they are mostly a breed to themselves, but they are great dogs for a family pet. It is just such a shame they look similar to a pitbull, that is banned, and so the wrong people will continue to use and abuse these brilliant smart dogs to their own needs. Even if breeding was banned, people will still do it. There are good, responsible breeders, who do the right thing and will continue to be great breeders, it is not their fault there are the bad ones, and they cant take the blame for bad breeders or BYB.
I know personally of someone, who has bred their staffy back to back, cos they made money... this "person" is also involved in a husky type rescue organisation, double standards spring to mind....

Just my thoughts on it, for what it's worth.....
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
The way I see it......

Just because one staffy is DA with one person, it might not be with a completely different owner, thats not to say any owner has done something wrong or different, but owners will treat their dogs different. I love staffies ( infact there is not many dogs I dont like), but it is not the breed for me. It is in my understanding of the breed, that the traits that make it a Stafford Bull Terrier, can make them, if challenged, DA. That is not counting the idiots and numpties that have them cos "well they well ard aint they".
They are game, happy dogs, the ones I have met anyway, but do not suffer fools well, and by that I mean they are not dogs that will not take no for an answer when a strange dog is jumping all over them, or the idiot owner that lets their dog run all over other folks dogs, and most of us have that happen, "they just want to play", some dogs will be accepting of this, but most terriers, by nature do not like in your face dogs, they are bred to be tenacious and brave, they had to be to survive what they were originally bred for and it took years to get these traits and it is the breed standard. They are not like a lab or beagle, or any other dog come to think of it, they are mostly a breed to themselves, but they are great dogs for a family pet. It is just such a shame they look similar to a pitbull, that is banned, and so the wrong people will continue to use and abuse these brilliant smart dogs to their own needs. Even if breeding was banned, people will still do it. There are good, responsible breeders, who do the right thing and will continue to be great breeders, it is not their fault there are the bad ones, and they cant take the blame for bad breeders or BYB.
I know personally of someone, who has bred their staffy back to back, cos they made money... this "person" is also involved in a husky type rescue organisation, double standards spring to mind....

Just my thoughts on it, for what it's worth.....
I agree most terriers would react to strange dogs jumping all over them not just Staffordshire Bull Terrriers, the only difference is the staffords strength and its ability to cause damage.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow this thread has moved on a little...

Totally behind Craig and Lorna and the posts made by leadstaffs.

Ask any SBT owner if they enjoy owning a DA/reactive dog,I certainly don't,and I don't believe any owner would set out to own a DA/reactive dog as you need eyes in the back of your head.

My Tyler is fab around other dogs,but I also know that he is a Stafford and that could change in a heartbeat.
Meg had a go at him a few weeks back and he did react and snapped back at her,that is the first and only time I have ever seen any aggression from him.

I have owned this breed for nearly 20 yrs and I have only owned two dogs which have been good around other dogs,Tyler and a bitch called Kel.

Good responsible owners know that the potential for a stafford not to get along with other dogs when they hit maturity is always there,that's why we take precautions,you need to be aware of exactly what you own and the history of a breed and it's traits.

I also know Craig from other forums,sadly missed out on speaking with him at a show a few yrs ago,but I do consider him a responsible owner / breeder and he does have the breeds best interest and his dogs welfare at heart.
His dogs are very well bred,health tested and if anything was amiss he would not breed,he knows where all his pups are,will take any back in a heartbeat such the case arise,knows full well about the rescue situation, and because his dogs may not / will not tolerate other dogs he his made out to be an uncaring owner who mistreats his dogs etc etc,absolute rubbish,he was the one who alerted me to my dogs sire who is a carrier for L2.

Bold and fearless I believe is what the standard states,I interprept this to mean the stafford will if challenged stand his ground and won't back down.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
great post and what i was trying to get at, you just worded it better than i could x

Thank you very much

I'm looking forward to getting an answer to it from 'craig & lorna'.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post

He was the sweetest dog until he was attacked by other dogs on several different occassions. He decided he was not going to wait until they bite first so if an other dog came in his face he went for it first.

Now is that aggressive or reactive. It was not a breeding issue as I kept in touch with his litter mates. It was a learned behaviour so would not be passed in his genes.
Exactly the same as Meg,her mother and grandmother were seen with her and her siblings together in the whelping box at 3 weeks old.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s a guy in our local park who has 2 staffies. Beautifully trained, very good with other dogs. And there`s a lady with a friendly brown one that wants to play with every dog she sees. And this was just today.
So I can`t help thinking that if the 3 staffies I met today were dog-friendly, and this is a fairly normal occurence....
what are people in other areas doing wrong?
Two of Henry's very best friends are Staffies...one of them loves everybody and everything, the other is DA and is muzzled but adores Hen and is allowed to have his muzzle off when meeting up with him as he likes to kiss all round Hen.

I have to admit that I don't think of them being aggressive when I meet the breed, probably because of his friends.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

Ask any SBT owner if they enjoy owning a DA/reactive dog,I certainly don't,and I don't believe any owner would set out to own a DA/reactive dog as you need eyes in the back of your head.

My Tyler is fab around other dogs,but I also know that he is a Stafford and that could change in a heartbeat.
Meg had a go at him a few weeks back and he did react and snapped back at her,that is the first and only time I have ever seen any aggression from him.

I have owned this breed for nearly 20 yrs and I have only owned two dogs which have been good around other dogs,Tyler and a bitch called Kel.

Good responsible owners know that the potential for a stafford not to get along with other dogs when they hit maturity is always there,that's why we take precautions,you need to be aware of exactly what you own and the history of a breed and it's traits.

I also know Craig from other forums,sadly missed out on speaking with him at a show a few yrs ago,but I do consider him a responsible owner / breeder and he does have the breeds best interest and his dogs welfare at heart.
His dogs are very well bred,health tested and if anything was amiss he would not breed,he knows where all his pups are,will take any back in a heartbeat such the case arise,knows full well about the rescue situation, and because his dogs may not / will not tolerate other dogs he his made out to be an uncaring owner who mistreats his dogs etc etc,absolute rubbish,he was the one who alerted me to my dogs sire who is a carrier for L2.

Bold and fearless I believe is what the standard states,I interprept this to mean the stafford will if challenged stand his ground and won't back down.

Not sure if that is a reference to this thread or not... Nobody here has stated or implied that Craig is 'rubbish'.

A few of us are just picking up on the breeding from dogs known to be dog aggressive. Seems a reasonable thing to ask about.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
I know several GOOD SBT breeders, whose dogs do well at shows & whose dogs temperaments fit the BS exactly & who do all the health tests.

Nowhere in the BS is DA a requirement & in fact in line with the current"fit for function"etc instructions to judges dogs showing DA in the ring should NOT be placed in the same way a nervous dog should not be placed.

One of my close friends(before poor health affected him)was a top breeder of Bull Terriers & judge of both Bullies & SBTs. His own Bullies always had the correct temperaments & characters as their BS requires

even at a time when many had dreadful temperaments(both DA & Fear Aggression). He would never put up a SBT that displayed DA or Fear Aggression in the ring(He was a Championship Show Judge in both breeds). He had over 40 years experience of both SBT & Bullies & did forecast the deterioration in the temperament of SBT in the show ring & elsewhere long before it was perceived as a problem
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
Great ! Maybe you could let us in on who they are ? Are you suggesting that they hip and elbow score aswell ?
Bump, just incase you miseed this ?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

same can be said about the 'csv' (another bold and fearless breed)
.... i really do not think breeding it out would work even if peeps tried, its not as simple as breed two non d.a dog and the result is not

its a lottery....but then again it is in many breeds and da dogs are not always born but are made....not alot u can do about that sometimes.
Page 14 of 18 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »