Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Update
Just got back from the vets took some of the things suggested on here to show Martin (the vet).

Seem's he's quite open to things - was happy with him being fed raw and said we should carry on with it other vets we've seen there were quite against it.

We've been given some tablets to give him just to get things back under control and dried up, then might try Thornit to keep his ear clear! Also looked at the Quistel but Martin seemed to think you couldn't get it in the uk I told him the lady who suggested it lives in the uk...so might use it.

He doesn't think it's very likely to be an allergie becuse other wise it would probably have effected both ears but has not ruled it out. He thinks the most likey cause is either something in his ear like a pollip (spelling?) or that we hadn't quite cleared it before and it's come back.

Also said might have to keep using some form of ear cleaner regularly for the rest of his life whether it's Thornit, Quistel or homeopathy or what ever.

We shall see how it goes he has another check up in a couple of weeks I'll let you know what we decide to do.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I hope it improves. It must be very painful for him.
Shamus has an ear infection atm and we`ve just been to the vet, He gets so grumpy when he`s out of sorts.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Er you CAN get it in the UK, I use their products all the time!

This is a UK site.

http://www.quistel.com/information/i...age=earcleaner
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I hope it improves. It must be very painful for him.
Shamus has an ear infection atm and we`ve just been to the vet, He gets so grumpy when he`s out of sorts.
Thanks, Sid has been soo good with people looking at his ear etc it must be painful Martin really likes him, goo luck clearing Shamus' ear.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Er you CAN get it in the UK, I use their products all the time!

This is a UK site.

http://www.quistel.com/information/i...age=earcleaner
Thanks, yes I told him you must be able to get it.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
phoebe has had this for 3 years, first just brown smelly wax but after a few days the head shaking and itching starts and her ears go angry red.

When they are bad i clean with malacetic otic 3 times a day when there ok i do it every other day and have been for 3 years. i dont squirt it in her ears a put it on cotton woll pads and clean the wax out. It smells.

Vet has checked it for all kinds of stuff and she has to go and have them cleaned under GA about once a year. Sometime antibiotic eardrops if bad.

I have come to live with this and accepted its needs to be managed as there is no cure. Phoebes is producing to must yeast made worse by a food allergy and the fact she has a poor imune system.
Yours could be something different, but just thought ild let you know about phoebes ears
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Update
Just got back from the vets took some of the things suggested on here to show Martin (the vet).

Seem's he's quite open to things - was happy with him being fed raw and said we should carry on with it other vets we've seen there were quite against it.

We've been given some tablets to give him just to get things back under control and dried up, then might try Thornit to keep his ear clear! Also looked at the Quistel but Martin seemed to think you couldn't get it in the uk I told him the lady who suggested it lives in the uk...so might use it.

He doesn't think it's very likely to be an allergie becuse other wise it would probably have effected both ears but has not ruled it out. He thinks the most likey cause is either something in his ear like a pollip (spelling?) or that we hadn't quite cleared it before and it's come back.

Also said might have to keep using some form of ear cleaner regularly for the rest of his life whether it's Thornit, Quistel or homeopathy or what ever.

We shall see how it goes he has another check up in a couple of weeks I'll let you know what we decide to do.
as for both ears not really one of phoebes ears is far worse than the other - her left ear barley has anything
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
phoebe has had this for 3 years, first just brown smelly wax but after a few days the head shaking and itching starts and her ears go angry red.

When they are bad i clean with malacetic otic 3 times a day when there ok i do it every other day and have been for 3 years. i dont squirt it in her ears a put it on cotton woll pads and clean the wax out. It smells.

Vet has checked it for all kinds of stuff and she has to go and have them cleaned under GA about once a year. Sometime antibiotic eardrops if bad.

I have come to live with this and accepted its needs to be managed as there is no cure. Phoebes is producing to must yeast made worse by a food allergy and the fact she has a poor imune system.
Yours could be something different, but just thought ild let you know about phoebes ears
Thanks, I'm going to know a whole lot more about ears by the time we've got this sorted!
It was intesting to hear the vet explain about allergies in dogs that it can be years before they start to show they are allergic, it makes total sense now as I didn't get hay fever until I was about 10 the vet didn't get hay fever until he was in his early twenties.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Thanks, I'm going to know a whole lot more about ears by the time we've got this sorted!
It was intesting to hear the vet explain about allergies in dogs that it can be years before they start to show they are allergic, it makes total sense now as I didn't get hay fever until I was about 10 the vet didn't get hay fever until he was in his early twenties.
Well you do not become allergic to something until your body is sensitised to something, it could be once eg after a bee sting, or it could be after thousands of exposures.

One of the reasons I think it is better for dogs to get used to eating all sorts of stuff so that the risk of them becoming sensitised to a particular protein is minimised.

A view that is counter intuitive to a lot of advice given to pet owners eg change foods gradually etc;

feral dogs do not suffer if they eat scraps one day and a rabbit the next.

We often do not do our dogs any favours.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well you do not become allergic to something until your body is sensitised to something, it could be once eg after a bee sting, or it could be after thousands of exposures.
One of the reasons I think it is better for dogs to get used to eating all sorts of stuff so that the risk of them becoming sensitised to a particular protein is minimised.

A view that is counter intuitive to a lot of advice given to pet owners eg change foods gradually etc;

feral dogs do not suffer if they eat scraps one day and a rabbit the next.

We often do not do our dogs any favours.
Thats what he said, he talked about types of sensitiverty etc
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:19 AM
He's still going to be on tablets for another couple of weeks found out he has pain in his back so more problems for him. The ulcers in his ear have reduced but not quite gone when they are gone I think we're going to try thornit as well as possibly giving him tablets but less.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3