Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Which Laptop?

I am buying a new Laptop in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any of you computer people could reccomend a really good make as I know nothing. Also which spyware, antivirus protection etc would you reccomend? I've had it with Norton and Mcafee etc. I'm currently using AVG Free edition antivirus, Beta spyware, AD-adware se personal with no problems whatsoever touch wood. Any help for a computer idiot would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance
Laura xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd go straight to Dell if I were you. We actually supply them on behalf of work and their support seems to be good. They've got a deal on at the moment as well. You need to purchase direct from them though as they don't deal with resellers. www.dell.com should be a good start. We're using the free version of AVG and zone alarm also free for firewall protection. Seems to be the general consensus of the lads that I work with in I.T. also. Hope this helps. Just ask if you need anything else.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I've got a Sony laptop and Sony desktop never had any problems with either, I recommend Sony anyway, I also have TV's, Camcorders, cameras, phones, walkmans, mini-disc players all Sony and can't fault them at all.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi Laura

I'd also recommend Dell as well - my OH is a creative director and it's the only laptop he'd use for his designs - they are incredibly reliable. Good value for money is Dell - Sony is good as well but on the pricey side.

Zonealarm is a very good firewall - too good that we had to get rid of it and go for McAfee so it would let certain stuff we needed through. We've never had problems with Norton antivirus either.

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Savastores (a division of Watford electronics) are reasonable for computing things. I have

I've not had a problem with Norton anti-virus on my pc. I have Panda on the laptop, which is networked and I've had no problems here either.

I use free Spybot and Adaware too.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I have Panda Anti Virus (with firewall) and I love it's simplicity it also uses up a lot less resources when it is working than something like Norton might do. and I just use yahoo's AntiSpy for spyware etc.

I got stung by the rogue dial up's last year Haven't had any trouble with any virus's or adware since using Panda etc and switching from dial up to broadband.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the help guys I'm a big sony fan too; I have sony everything (almost!)

My friend at work was telling me today she's had a reconditioned Dell laptop which she's had for ages no problems and she's even spilled cofee all over it in the past so they must be good!

Thanks again for the links and help I have a good idea now of what to look for.

Kindest Regards
Laura xx
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Compaq presrio here, no problems with it in the 2 years I've had it.

Virus wise, I'd recomend Avast over AVG, I changed from AVG to Avast and it picked up numerous trojans and virii I had no idea were there, well done AVG

Avast anti-virus Many ISP's use the Avast engine for their virus scanners.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks lollippy, very useful advice xx
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-07-2005, 10:53 PM
The nice thing about a Dell laptop is that you can build it to your own spec. Aileen has a Dell laptop and really likes it.

Is it just for use round the house?

Graeme
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >