View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 12:13 PM

Messing overnight. (housetraining / pampered dog)

neighbours got a 9 mth old KCS, and over night hes messing everywhere. any advice b4 my neigh throttles the dog, also her daughter *babies* the dog to the extent where i think hes forgotton what his legs are for, the kids are at his beck n call all the time, obiously mum has stuff to do so cant be wiith the dog 24/7. i think hes messing cause theres no one about to pander to his whims at night, and hes punishing them.
any advice will be great.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
they need to start instilling some discipline back, re establish a routine with him....
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
they need to start instilling some discipline back, re establish a routine with him....
thats just what charlie n myself said.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 12:22 PM
just remembered when i said about being firm, she said but hes like a child,i said would u still be carrying a 4 year old around??got to teach him right from wrong havent u.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2006, 12:35 PM
It sounds as if the dog has not been correctly houstrained from the start or there is /a change in routine/ no routine established/ illness /change of food.

Dogs have to be taught what is required of them and they are not capable of 'punishing people' . At nine months old the dog has control over bodily functions so it should be easy to train.

They need to start again from scratch with houstraining and establish exacty where/when the dog is meant to soil.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Sounds like they really need advice on how to train a dog full stop!

It doesn't surprise me at all it is still fouling, if the dog is being babied and pampered all the time, it will not be getting the training and discipline it needs to progress.

On top of that if they are smothering it with love constantly it could become over-dependant on them and suffer separation anxiety, which will make it become destructive and also urinate/defacate when left. They really need to establish new routines with this dog and fast. Poor thing has no guidelines and rules to live by, it must be unhappy - a trained dog is a happy dog.