View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 09:57 AM
so so sorry you are going through all of this, I have no advice really, just lots of hugs for you and your family and your dear mum.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Thinking of you,,sending love and huge hugs xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
When she nears the end she will be unconscious most of the time IME. This stage is very hard but the illness will take its course - talk to the hospice staff. They are there to help.
Everyone copes differently and everyone`s experience is different, but the staff will be able to offer support.
x
Yes, this ... my mum was unconscious for a few days before she finally had peace and slipped away ...

{{{{hugs}}}}

Wys
x
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Thoughts are still with you and your mum. Hard as it is, your time with her is so precious xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I wish she was unconscious it would make things easier. She is out of it for 90% of the day or more, but when she comes around she's just distressed that she's still alive. She just got really upset, said she was uncomfortable but couldn't say why eg did she need medication for pain or repositioning etc. She just keeps saying "I want to die but they won't let me" they have said today that if she continues to feel distressed they can offer her a sedative, which would be a good idea as doing anything at all (taking meds, trying to eat, having a drink) is a colossal effort.

How can we let people suffer like this we wouldn't do it to a dog....
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:40 PM
MM ((hugs)) I lost my nan last year to cancer, and it was a horrific time for all of us. When she got really bad, and she said she wanted it to be over, it struck me that I would never allow my dogs to suffer as this, but I have to let my beautiful nan die in agony

I just wanted to let you know, you are in my thoughts and sending you huge hugs (and a nice big matteress) If there is anything I can do, then please PM me, (even if you just need a chat) xx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I know this may sound a little off the wall, but when she's distressed and can't get comfy, have you tried reading to her? Often as they lay there all they can think (and worry) about are the final moments and reading can, with some, take the edge off and help them get a little more settled.

I'm so sorry that your mum is having to go through this and that you and your family are having to sit and watch not knowing what to do for the best for her. One thing's for sure, just being there seems to be helping her so you are doing your mum a wonderful service by staying at her side.

xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
You poor things, it sound so distressing for both of you. Thinking of you and your mum xxx
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry to read the latest update.. it understandably sounds like its taking its toll on you all

It must be incredibly difficult to watch, and it is so awful knowing that someones ready to go but their body struggles on.

Taking alternate nights sounds like a good idea, you must be exhausted anyway, mentally, emotionally, physically - I can understand you wanting a proper nights sleep

Big Hugs Amanda XXX
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
I really am so very sorry for you all.

Is your mum at all religious? A vicar doing a communion or some such may help. There is usually a chaplain available.

Maybe you could talk about more down to Earth stuff. If she is concious, she may be worrying about her house, bills, pets, the WI...You could maybe talk about anything you think may be worrying her, and explain how it is all going to be sorted out.

And. look after yourself. XX
Page 13 of 28 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »