View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
theperryfamily
New Member!
Male 

27-01-2009, 02:26 AM

New Pups make older Dog hide in the house...

We have an 8yo Jack Russell Terrier who is very outgoing and playful despite her age...however we recently (2 days ago) rescued 2 puppies of Australian Shepherd / Mastiff mix from a local vet hospital and since they have been in the house our older dog shys away from them, tucks her tail and runs away from them if they approach, hides under the bed in other rooms etc...and I am worried about her as she is usually such a lively social dog...she hasn't been aggressive toward them, however when one of the puppies cornered her (and when I say cornered, I mean followed her into a bed room trying to meet her) she cowered into a corner and when the puppy slowly approached she growled and snapped at the puppy showing teeth etc...is this because of a territory issue or what? she only comes out of the back bed rooms to go outside to potty, to eat/drink, and at night when they are sleeping in their crate etc...

I've never seen this type of behavior from her before...the vet says that physically she's perfectly healthy etc, so I don't think it's an illness making her act this way...

I've never introduced any new dogs into our home since I brought her home...we've had other dogs visit (my sister's dogs, my parents dogs, etc) but they never stayed more than a couple of hours etc

Is this something that I should let them work out naturally, is it normal for it to take so long for dogs to get used to each other etc, or are there steps that I can take to help them greet each other safely and learn to be friends etc?

I really need advice on this as I love my JRT like a child, and yet I couldn't stand to see these other puppies put down etc...I would love to find a way for them to all get along in the house peacefully
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Firstly, you have brought 2 puppies into her house, which is alot for any dog to contend with.
Alot of her reactions are perfectly natural, and these things do take time, alot more time than two days.
I do think 2 puppies (IMO) is abit two much and again this is only my opinion I wouldn't take two, having said that alot of people can cope.

Your JRT needs some time and space of her own, so why not get a gate between say the kitchen and the living room, where every so often the puppies can be put in the kitchen and your JRT can spend some quality, peace time with you in the living room.

At the moment she is probally over whelmed by it all, after all they are following her everywhere....even into the bedroom.

She needs time hun.....alot more than two days too. xxxx

Wishing you all the best.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Firstly, you have brought 2 puppies into her house, which is alot for any dog to contend with.
Alot of her reactions are perfectly natural, and these things do take time, alot more time than two days.
I do think 2 puppies (IMO) is abit two much and again this is only my opinion I wouldn't take two, having said that alot of people can cope.

Your JRT needs some time and space of her own, so why not get a gate between say the kitchen and the living room, where every so often the puppies can be put in the kitchen and your JRT can spend some quality, peace time with you in the living room.

At the moment she is probally over whelmed by it all, after all they are following her everywhere....even into the bedroom.

She needs time hun.....alot more than two days too. xxxx

Wishing you all the best.
That's so true... and these 2 puppies are probably the size of the adult dog... No wonder she's scared...

You might see some improvement in 4 weeks time..

Don't over protect the old dog, but do put the pups in a crate, so she can have some time with you...
theperryfamily
New Member!
Male 

27-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks...in fact, this morning I've already seen some improvement...they followed her into the bedroom and she went under the bed and they both were looking under the bed at her and she gave them a stern growl, and they both laid down and tucked their tails and she came out and went around them...and wagged her tail (or at least the little nub of a tail that she has) and then they both slowly got up and slowly followed her out of the room giving her about 5ft clearance at all times...

I agree with you both, I think I was just too worried too quick...

Thank you all so much