Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Clicker Training!!

Well its arrived my clicker and book whick i ordered form the uk.
my mum brought last week i've read the little book that it comes with from cover to cover and looks pretty straight forward (sure im been nieve)
the books by sarah whitehead.

has anyone got any handy tips as Max already knows sit,leave and paw thought i would start by reinforcing these with the clicker is this a good way to go about it??

going to have a training session this afternoon whats the ideal length of time for a session?

He's 4.5 months old.

thanks
poodle-mad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi ya, I'm new to clicker training too, I have got Mary Ray's books on this and I have seen a demostration by her at crufts dog show.At the moment I feel arkward with it, but as long as you click when the dog gets whatever your asking correct and treat straight away, it seems to work. I'm trying it with my 3mth old standard poodle and so far he has learnt sit,down,stand and come. Reinforcing the commands your dog knows sounds a good idea. it will help him learn to associate the sound with commands and treats and maybe improve the responce time. good luck. Keep trying and let me know how you get on with the clicker.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 04:45 PM
i have used clicker training with both of mine,they reacted really well to it,but only if i use treats too,if theres no treats my 2 just arent intrested
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Clicker training is not my idea of fun for a dog. They taught it to rats in a lab. I know you all love your dogs, so treat train, don't click. Would you train your children this way, I doubt it. I have trained dogs for 30 years and have never failed to get good results from praise and treats..clicking hmmm.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by bribiba View Post
Clicker training is not my idea of fun for a dog. They taught it to rats in a lab. I know you all love your dogs, so treat train, don't click. Would you train your children this way, I doubt it. I have trained dogs for 30 years and have never failed to get good results from praise and treats..clicking hmmm.

Well, I can understand your view but, I am a true convert from some years ago now. Clicker training really does help dogs to understand some of the more difficult things we ask and also is best at training for precision work - it can't be beaten and the dog just so understands .. it it helps communication between the species it can't be bad

I don't always use the clicker, but i do use it for more advanced training as it helps to shape some things and the dog isn't afraid to try things out and to learn that way.

Each to their own though

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by mj View Post

going to have a training session this afternoon whats the ideal length of time for a session?

He's 4.5 months old.

thanks
Try training in short bursts - maybe for a few minutes at a time

Wys
x
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes of course if it works for you then it is your choice. In my opinion, I would not want my dogs to be brain washed and really that is what clicker training is.
I think they are worth so much more, a cuddle, kiss and treats are far more rewarding than a click.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the click isn't the reward. The click pinpoints what they have done correctly. So it's click AND cuddle, kiss and treats.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the click isn't the reward. The click pinpoints what they have done correctly. So it's click AND cuddle, kiss and treats.
correct,well thats how we use the clicker anyway,click then treat and praise and my 2 are doing really well with it
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes, but my point is the click, rats in the lab responded to a bell ringing then they knew they would get a treat, you click and the dog knows he will get a treat, it is called brainwashing.
Dog training should be rewarding for both of you, I just hate the thought of it. I don't really train my dogs, they are pack trained and do what they should naturaly I can take them anywhere and they are very well behaved, but then wolfhounds are like that. However we do run dog training classes and have done for years, our training works very well with just a treat and praise....so why click?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >