Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:36 AM

Not serious, but question re. pads

okay, it's causing her no discomfort and she's walking fine, I may be trying to fix something that isn't broken but I thought I may aswell ask.

I've noticed recently that Takara's pads are very cracked and hard, as nobody else mentioned it and my parents have had dogs before, I ignored it thinking she probably needed them to be hard anyway to protect her when out walking.

But mum has just pointed out how hard and cracked they look and I wonder if I should be moisturising them or something?

Is there any care I should be taking over her pads because it's never come up in any books I've read.

Thanks
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Don't think a Dallies pads should be cracked like that, may be a dietary problem, may be salt from the roads. What do Dally people think?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 11:52 AM
thanks, they're not majorly cracked but look a bit sore (even though she walks fine and never bothers with them).

I shall ask the dally people!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Jake's puppy feet used to be lovely and soft. Nowadays they are Like rough old sandpaper! He's also got quite deep looking 'cracks'. I'm assuming it's just because the skin must be quite thick and tough. Be interesting to see what everyone else says...
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 12:56 PM
well bruno has very rough and cracked paws but i just assumed they are supposed to be like that - partially because it never seems to stop him wheelspinning on the pavements and generally runing amok - so they cant be painful....

when I say cracked - its like an old mans face - full of lines !! LOL
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Thing is Dallies should be able to run all day and sound pads would be the norm, it is difficult to know what is being discribed but in general a Dalmations pads should be thick sound and intact.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Thing is Dallies should be able to run all day and sound pads would be the norm, it is difficult to know what is being discribed but in general a Dalmations pads should be thick sound and intact.
You guys have made me feel a bit better... I just assumed they were like that because she was toughening up! (my baby, bless her!)

Jackie, the 'cracks' in the pads don't expose anything underneath, it's almost like hard skin on human feet, it tends to get lines in it...

I'll wait to hear more but I do miss her soft pink puppy pads! Dani - I know what you mean! she's the same, it doesn't stop her having her fun on walks! lol
Kira87
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2006, 05:19 PM
If they're not exposing anything underneath they should be fine but if you are worried you could put a tea spoon of collodal silver either in her water or her dinner it's natural and won't do her any harm but it will flush out any infection if there is a problem. Though I wouln't imagine there would be.

Or there is such a thing as Paw Wax, which you should be able to pick up at any good pet store. It just protects the pads while she's out walking. I've never used it though so don't know how good it is. Or the price.

Natalia
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Lottie, think you may be having a minor panic if there is a problem she will chew them.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't think pads should be exstreamly dry/cracked.

If you feel they might be I would rub in some cream like alovera gel, E45. Wouldn't do any harm.

Min xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >